HybridZ

Digital Speedo with 700R4: no worky

Guest 73TPIZ

I've installed a cyberdyne digital speedo and can't get it to work with my '86 700R4 (electric speedo sender). the instructions say the unit sees an electronic pulse from the trans while driving. i reused the original Vehicle Speed Sensor from the TA and wired it as follows: purple and yellow wires from trans, pink/black to ign on, black to grnd. the other 3 wires were to the TPI compu, cruise, and orig speedo so i took speedo wire and sent it to the cyber unit. no worky. Is maybe the vss converting a digital signal (pulse) from the trans to an analog sig and that's why the cyber unit doesn't work? if so, can i straight wire either the purple or yellow wire to the cyber from the trans? what would i give the other wire, +12volts or ground? sorry so long, but i don't want to do it and blow the cyber unit before i get some input. thanks

PS: Cyber sells the speed pickup separate but i get the feeling its the old crap magnet you tape to your driveshaft and have a pickup send a sig to the unit. Plus i can't see $40 more when the factory has already done it for me inside the tranny.