HybridZ

Custom L20 idea.

MiKeL 260

Hey i have recently got my first z a 82 fairlady 2+2 slick top with the 2 litre engine, I was just wandering if i could put a different head on to the L20 to make it dual cam i was thinking of something along the lines of a similiar setup to the RB30de where you take the RB30e block and put a RB25de head on it. Can the same be done for my L20 or even a l28? got a rusted dying one that came with the 82 that i could easily pull apart..

p.s. is their any parts i can take off the 28 and put on the 20 for more power?

Cheers.

• Administrators

MiKeL 260,

You have long road of learning ahead. :windows:

Yes a twin cam head is doable. Is it within the realm of a new Z car owner or relatively green car guy? The answer is a resounding NO, unless he has the budget to purchase a Z that already has one, (good luck).

I would start by researching twin cam L series, via Google and also here on this forum. Maybe one of our long term members would be kind enough to give a few links to get you started. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Hey, i am in Christchurch, wbu?

2.3 iirc? whats that? bored out l20a?

(sorry bit of a noob as am only 16)

Stroked 20a, the L28 has a larger bore and longer stroke than the L20a, putting L20 pistons on the L28 rods and cranks gives more displacement. Or you can use the L20 crank and rods with L28 pistons in the L28.

Use the search button and there is a LOT of info on here. Bores, Strokes, Block details, Head chamber sizes, compression ratios...

If you post on http://www.zclub.co.nz there are a number of Chch Kiwis with Z cars of various stripes, I picked up my rolling shell from Chch.