HybridZ

window motor-can I fix it in car?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have tried to fix some electric windows in the past and almost got my fingers chopped off. My 87 300 ZX has passenger side window motor not working, can I fix it in the car? In other words can I clean the brushes or replace them with the motor in the car? Or does it all need to come apart? I can get a used window motor(there is a junkyard here with several Zs and ZXs) but I dont like the spring whacking me. How do I do it in other words? I am mechanicly inclined, just want to keep all 10 fingers. Thanks in advance, Steve.

On my 81 280zx, you could not get to the bolts that hold the motor in without removing the window, motor and assembly. It was easy to replace the brushes one removed. There was not a spring in that model.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks! I have not opened up the door yet, but knowing it does not have a spring eases my mind. I have a '92 camaro and it has a spring that is very strong. It cut my ring finger to the bone and almost broke it. When I went to the junk yard to get a replacement, as the brushes and whole thing wouldnt work, I was very carefull to not get hit. I let a camaro/firebird expert put it in for me. It was worth not getting a finger broke. Steve.