HybridZ

Bringing her back to life

RB20DET_Z

Its been a little over a year now since I bought my 240 and began swapping in and building the RB20 engine. Back in June I had catastrophic failure, the freeze plug came out on the interstate and the engine overheated to the point of boiling oil, and a seized block. Since then she has not seen much work.

I recently began an Automotive Techincal Sciences program at a local college and have brought the 240 in as my ongoing project for my degree. I have since bought a new RB20DET engine for it and am in the process of pulling all the goodies (Holdet turbo, exhaust mani, timing belt, head studs, ect) off of the old RB and preping it for the new engine to be dropped in. Ill be documenting this build from start to finish with photos, and will update progressively as things move along.

Wish me luck!

Well the engine arrived earlier than expected. I had pulled the old engine out yesterday, so the timing was perfect when I walked into the shop this morning and found my new RB20 waiting for me. I went to work pulling the acessories of of the new engine and next week will begin shifting all of the upgraded components over fromt he old engine. I should have everything stuffed back in there by this time next week, and then its off for tuning! Here are a few pictures of my progress so far.

IMG_4238_thumb.jpg

IMG_4243_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has moved slowly these past few weeks. Snow storms left the shop closed for a few working days and the time since has been spent playing catch-up, i.e. not working on my own car. I also managed to break my digital camera when it was in my pocket the other week while moving a transmission onto a stand. Photos will be delayed until I get a new camera.

The head is off both motors, as expected the old motor is total junk from the piston heads down. No salvaging it. The head looks fine though, so Im going to have it decked and use it on the new block since it is already ported. The cometic HG would have been good for another use by the looks of it had I pulled it back when the engine first died, but corrotion had built up and ruined it. The ARP headstuds and GReddy timing belt were pulled off the old block for use on the new one. I am now waiting on a new head gasket and a few other parts before I begin the final rebuild. I am also having a new crank position sensor bracket fabricated for better rigidity, no more issues of the signal breaking up at high RPM anymore hopefully.

More news to come soon.