HybridZ

FIBERGLASS REAR BUMPER

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

WELL HERE IS MY DELIMA. I HAVE THE REAR BUMPER FROM MSA FOR A 240 OR 260. I HAVE A 76 280. I DON'T HAVE THE INDENTION LIKE THE EARLY MODELS HAVE FOR THE BUMPER TO FIT ON THE SIDES. HAS ANYONE PUT ONE OF THESE ON A 280? WHAT MODIFICATIONS NEED TO BE MADE IN ORDER FOR IT TO FIT? I PLACED THE BUMPER ON THE REAR OF THE CAR AND IT WAS TOO TIGHT TO PLACE THE BOLT IN THE ORIGINAL MOUNT HOLES FOR THE SIDE. I FIGURE I WILL HALF TO MAKE NEW REAR MOUNTS BUT I HAVE A LARGE GAP BUTWEEN THE CAR AND THE BODY. IS IT POSSIBLE TO BOND THE BUMPER ON THE BODY AND BLEND IT WITH A GAP. I WAS PLANNING ON TRYING TO FILL IN THE GAP WITH FIBERGLASS BUT I HAVE NO IDEA OF HOW TO MAKE IT CONTOUR WITH THE BUMPER AND THE BODY. ANY AND I MEAN ANY IDEAS WOULD BE APPREACHIATED. LATER, CHRIS

Sounds like you will have to do a lot of work to make these fit. What I would do is cut the bumper in half, then with help, place both halves on the side of the body. Bolt them to the body, and see how much of a gap you have where you cut the bumper. Once you have the bumper the way you like it, use 1" flat stock aluminum, and fiberglass them in about a foot or so past eash side of the split. Use as many flat stock pieces as you like on the inside of the bumper. Once this dries fill in the gap with fiberglass, and smooth it all out. I think this should do, but it's a lot of work! Anyone have any better ideas?