HybridZ

stripping down my 260 for paint ect...

Guest skimattybee

Guest skimattybee

Ok so ive decided to park old blue and strip her down all at once, insted of trying to do one panel at a time while trying to keep it on the road as my daily driver. ill post photos as i progress, feel free add an suggestions, because i am going to need them. pardon the quality and lighting in some of these photos, they were taken on my blackberry. 260.jpg

260z1.jpg

260z2.jpg

Guest skimattybee

Above are photos of the car when i got it, several months ago, if you look closely you can see where the paint is cracked on the hood, it is the same on the roof, (caused from some dumb kids climbing on the hood and roof when it was parked for a year, before i got the car) i have sanded down the hood, fender and roof and put some high build epoxy primer on them since then

260z4.jpg

260z5.jpg

ok, so i finally got the car in the garage, starting to strip it down, take off window, interior pieces, seats, lights and such..

Guest skimattybee

found some rust in the usual spots, under the battery tray, under the cowl around the blower intake, and some dummy covered the rust on the hatch with silicone and painted over it, that was a blast to scrape off. also found out that i have P90 heads, and if i was told correctly those are from the l28 engine? im quite new to the s30's

260z4-1.jpg

260z5-1.jpg

260z6.jpg

260z7.jpg

260z8.jpg

Guest skimattybee

got the side skirts off , since i decided to get 2 new fenders, hopefully get a set of fiberglass fenders from john at baddogparts.com along with some other goodies. in the meantime i will be repairing the fiberglass front air dam that my stepdad backed into, causing my fender to crinkle

260z9.jpg

Guest skimattybee

got the front bumperoff, along with the headlight buckets and one fender, which is for sale, pm for photos

260z10.jpg

260z11.jpg

260z12.jpg

i had to grind the heads off of the screws holding the top of the fender because they were so rusted, but thank god that was the only thing rusted, besides a little surface rust

Guest skimattybee

so i went took a trip down to orlando this weekend to pick up a brake kit and some interior parts from fhptom and came back with truckload of 260 parts...literally a truckload, i have yet to go through everything but i plan to this week , gotta figure out what air dam i am going to use now

Guest skimattybee

did a bit of cutting and grinding today, found some more rust coming through also

2z.jpg

3z.jpg

the drivers side floor isnt as bad as the passenger side floor was, for now i am patching it up, later down the line i plan on getting some bad dog frame rails and new floor pans.

5z.jpg

cut out the seatbelt cup in the floor, they were completely rusted through, iplan on getting harness seatbelts anyways

6z.jpg

going to patch up the antenna hole

1z.jpg

found some rust bubbling from under the paint in the jambs

Guest skimattybee

i have been looking at some 350z seats or some later model bmw seats if i can find a set for cheap, if not i guess ill go with a cheaper pair off of ebay for now, guess i will find out what fits and what doesnt

im using stock honda civic si seats out of the older 91 civic hb. its kinda bucket style with nice head adjuster and you can slide the two harness around the head rest and sit nice on top of the seat area under head rest. way comfortable and maintain a factory look. i have a cage so i gave away my factory belts also.

at that stage, i wouldnt worry too much about seats yet and focus on the body!!!

Guest skimattybee

well i am trying to find seats because if i have to put in custom brackets i need to do so now , insted of having to buy NOS seat mounts and then cutting them out in a few months anyways