HybridZ

Round port head vs square port header

Zkrazy

Anyone know if it's possible to use a sqaure port header on a round port head? Without is leaking that is........

My L24/E31 dropped a valve and took out the head, piston and cylinder so I picked up a L28/E47. I'm out of work, and money, and need to get my car running without spending.

Also, is it possible to remove the exhaust liners without taking the head off the block?

Thanks,

Anthony

• Administrators
Anyone know if it's possible to use a sqaure port header on a round port head? Without is leaking that is........

My L24/E31 dropped a valve and took out the head, piston and cylinder so I picked up a L28/E47. I'm out of work, and money, and need to get my car running without spending.

Thanks,

Anthony

Yes! Square port header with round port head, round port liners line up perfectly with the square port header, done it many times, my personal Z 's and a few customer cars. At the time, I was using a Victor Reinz gasket that is no longer available. Key is to us the square port gasket.

Hope that helps,

Paul

Edited by BRAAP

• Administrators
Also, is it possible to remove the exhaust liners without taking the head off the block?

Thanks,

Anthony

Remove the exhaust port liner?!?! :hs:

Trust me when I say "leave the liner alone!" Not only are the liners VERY difficult to remove, but you will be taking a large step backward in performance if you do remove them!

Search this forum for "removing exhaust liners". The liners are are excellent even for high performance applications, removing the liners is bad advice! :wink:

Oh man that just made my day! I even have a new square port header gasket from MSA. But it does cover a little bit of the holes, outside of the liner. Should I trim it out?

I can't thank you enough! I should be able to get my car running this weekend now. Thanks!

• Administrators
Oh man that just made my day! I even have a new square port header gasket from MSA. But it does cover a little bit of the holes, outside of the liner. Should I trim it out?

I can't thank you enough! I should be able to get my car running this weekend now. Thanks!

You should be able to leave it alone, no trimming so long as the ID of the liner is not blocked by the gasket as you described. Exhaust gasses are flowing out of the ID, not the OD.

Hope that helps. Update us when you get it up and running again. :2thumbs:

It's running, with no leaks! Exhaust that is, I have a small oil leak that I need to fix. And tune it, but I'm on the road again. It seems to have pretty low compression, and the compression calculator shows an L28 with dished pistons and a N47 should be 8.2, so that's not surprising. But for $200, with SU's and a 5 speed, I'm very happy. I probably would have tried to use the old junk round port header without your help, which would have cost me more time and money. I can't thank you enough.