HybridZ

weatherstripping, the whole 9 yards....help me

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So i've been wondering, i've bought a "complete" weatherstripping kit, from a guy out here in arizona for 250$ which i though was expensive for, windshield,hatch gaskets, door seals, inner hatch seals etc, but i soon realized that there are alot more seals to a 240z, upper door seals, window channel seals, weatherstripping rivets etc, and furthermore as i examined my "kit" it seems to be precision, and all i hear is bad news about the kit, the seals, problems, etc. so i looked at it, and sure enough, its bad news, windshield seal is leaking, hatch seal gasket doesnt fit correctly, door seals are so stiff you cant close the door! and many other problems that i have yet to find out, now before i pull my hair out and go insane, can anyone help me? i know you guys have done this many many times, but this is my first car, and the first car that i am 'refreshing' so this forum is really my only avenue to 'good' advice.

The situation...

i have a 73' 240z production date of 11/73. My decisison to tear every piece of rubber off the car and replace it. make sure the car is sealed completely, and not have the moldy old looking rubber since the car is 27 years old.

Now what do i do? i've already dropped the 250 on the stupid kit that sucks. now i actually wanna get started on getting the car sealed....help me

Guest Anonymous

i feel your pain, i heard the same thing but being stubburn i got the precion anyway. well just call me stupid. i had the same problem and now i and in the slow process of replacing it with original oem stuff. it is of alot better quality. precision is cheaper but it depends if you want cheap or do you want quality. quality cost and for my baby that it what it gets even though i try to get discounts whenever possible. later, chris

Guest JAMIE T

76 280Z speeder, were are you getting your OEM stuff from? I'm OK for spending a little extra to get better quality. Is it new, nos(new old stock) or used?

[This message has been edited by JAMIE T (edited February 11, 2001).]

Guest Fast Frog

Havok:

Where ever you purchase your weather stripping kit-MSA, Victoria Brit, Ariz Z- DO NOT get the 2 piece aftermarket rt and left door weather stripping!!! If you can't get a single piece setup for the 240Z, then get the weather stripping for the 75-78 280Z. It will fit with a little work. The 2 piece aftermarket WS for the 240Z is a piece of crap!! I went thru this BS with my 240Z when I bought the 2 piece setup from MSA the 1st time around. MSA was good enough to let me return it for a set of 280Z door WS.

Guest Anonymous

i bought all my door and window front and rear seals from the dealer. the rest of it came from vic brit. very good people to work with. i called z-barn and they were very nice. he said he understands about the different kits aka precision that doesn't make good door and window seals. he said he would put a kit together and e-mail me the price with his good seals. give them a try and explain to them you don't want the hard door seals and need the soft ones. later, chris