HybridZ

electric fuel pump

racer88

I have looked at many different options for fuel pumps to install on my n/a 260. it has a 280 engine with mild cam large valve E31 head, headers ,hei ignition and su's. I know that the pressure for the carbs needs to be around 3.5 psi. Does anyone know what volume the pump needs to put out. Some are 30 gph some 72 - 150 gph with the price going up the more gph. I don't mind spending the money but do not want to waste it, as I have a paint job coming up and we all know what that costs. I have searched for info on this matter with no luck. The car is going to be a street car only but a spirited street car.

Bob

use a stock efi pump with a return style fuel pressure regulator that can be adjusted down to 3.5 psi.

aftermarket pumps (holley, mallory, carter, ect) tend to wear out after 1 to 2 years. The brushes on the motor wear out. The stock efi pumps last for years and years and years. Plus are quiet.

So, spend your money on a good return style fuel pressure regulator (Aeromotive, summitracing .com) and use a stock efi pump (new or used).

:mrgreen: I have had great success with the Facet pump

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=PUR&MfrPartNumber=PRO60SV&CategoryCode=3339K

no regulator required if you use the factory fuel rail :mrgreen:

The Facet pump is little over priced and cheap in my book... I think he would have better success with a #12S Pump from Mr. Gasket. http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?modelNumber=12S&productID=1392&majID=225&minID=2255&selection=6&minselection=1 It's smaller in size and provides better fuel delivery, and best of all it's cheaper @ $44.99. Also a stocking item at Oreilly Auto Parts. (The pump also includes a fuel filter.) And if you want to stay away from a regulator try part# 42S http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?modelNumber=42S&productID=1545&majID=225&minID=2255&selection=6&minselection=1 Also $44.99 and stocking... ;)

Edited by travie319

The Facet pump is little over priced and cheap in my book... I think he would have better success with a #12S Pump from Mr. Gasket. http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?modelNumber=12S&productID=1392&majID=225&minID=2255&selection=6&minselection=1 It's smaller in size and provides better fuel delivery, and best of all it's cheaper @ $44.99. Also a stocking item at Oreilly Auto Parts. (The pump also includes a fuel filter.) And if you want to stay away from a regulator try part# 42S http://www.mr-gasket.com/ProductDetails.aspx?modelNumber=42S&productID=1545&majID=225&minID=2255&selection=6&minselection=1 Also $44.99 and stocking... ;)

I would not use that specific pump, the LOW side of the pressure range is on the HIGH side of what our carbs need. Mr Gasket may make one with the right specs though? The Facet I mentioned is quiet and reliable. Had mine mounted at the back of the car for 4yrs now... three of that was driving around Vegas in 120deg heat, after the Holley fried from the heat.

I would not use that specific pump, the LOW side of the pressure range is on the HIGH side of what our carbs need. Mr Gasket may make one with the right specs though? The Facet I mentioned is quiet and reliable. Had mine mounted at the back of the car for 4yrs now... three of that was driving around Vegas in 120deg heat, after the Holley fried from the heat.

Thanks everyone that responded to my question. I have a pressure regulator so any of the pumps suggested will work. my only concern was noise and how many gallons per hour was needed. I will shop the local suppliers and see who has the best deal

Bob

Edited by racer88

• 2 months later...

I bit of a older thread, But i purchased a Mr Gasket 42S,

"Mr. Gasket #720-42S

Electric Fuel Pump

Carbureted Applications

42 GPH

2-3.5 PSI"

I feel the PSI is right. but will it flow enough for triple 40's jetted for DD use, on a stock L28

I bit of a older thread, But i purchased a Mr Gasket 42S,

"Mr. Gasket #720-42S

Electric Fuel Pump

Carbureted Applications

42 GPH

2-3.5 PSI"

I feel the PSI is right. but will it flow enough for triple 40's jetted for DD use, on a stock L28

it should work just fine