HybridZ

Rear wheel alignment problem

Both rear tires on my 1977 280z are worn slick from the outside edges to the center of the tire tread. The rear wheels appear to be leaning inward at the top. I am looking for help to fix this problem. I have owned the car 9 months and suspect all parts are original. Where do I start?

Leaning in at the top indicates it has some negative camber and that would usually cause the opposite problem (wearing the inside first) if it's noticeable looking at the tires it might indicate the car is sitting low than the stock ride height. It may also be a problem with the amount of toe. If the rears are toed in it could cause the outside to wear quickly. I don't think there should be any toe in the rear, having some could indicate a problem (potentially something bent).

Your driving style could also cause it. If you do a lot of heavy cornering it can cause your tires to wear a lot on the outside. If this is the case you may look into some aftermarket solutions to adjust your alignment in order to keep your tires wearing so fast, and increase performance at the same time.

I'd start by taking your car to an alignment shop and get it measured to see if it's within factory spec. Unfortunately neither toe nor camber in the rear are adjustable from the factory. There are however some eccentric bushings you can get from MSA to correct the alignment.

Leaning in at the top indicates it has some negative camber and that would usually cause the opposite problem (wearing the inside first) if it's noticeable looking at the tires it might indicate the car is sitting low than the stock ride height. It may also be a problem with the amount of toe. If the rears are toed in it could cause the outside to wear quickly. I don't think there should be any toe in the rear, having some could indicate a problem (potentially something bent).

Your driving style could also cause it. If you do a lot of heavy cornering it can cause your tires to wear a lot on the outside. If this is the case you may look into some aftermarket solutions to adjust your alignment in order to keep your tires wearing so fast, and increase performance at the same time.

I'd start by taking your car to an alignment shop and get it measured to see if it's within factory spec. Unfortunately neither toe nor camber in the rear are adjustable from the factory. There are however some eccentric bushings you can get from MSA to correct the alignment.

I will check for bent or broken parts, check the ride height, and then have the alignment measured. I will probably overhaul the rear suspension real soon. Thanks for the advice burninator.

Hi,

If his recommended repairs are correct the vehicle will not be able to be realigned. If he is just blowing smoke up your skirt you can call him out and he will be responsible to have the vehicle realigned.

Who's recommended repairs are you talking about? I certainly hope you don't mean my recommendations.

Who's recommended repairs are you talking about? I certainly hope you don't mean my recommendations.

Braq, Burninator's suggestions sound realistic. I am on this site to get help not place blame on the person helping.