HybridZ

1972 Datsun 240Z tachometer function with SR2DET swap...

Ok guys, as a shop I'm used to the mentality of "I should always have answer for the customer." In this case; I do not.

What are you guys doing for tachometers on these swapped S30 chassis vehicles? We MUST maintain the factory tachometer, or at least a Z-variant unit. I've done research, and I cannot dig up anything definitive for a fix.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Its my understanding that the output of the SR20DET's ECU is not usable with the stock tach.

What about an aftermarket tach sensor tied into the #1 coil pack trigger? I honestly don't know what the stock tach needs, but I'm guessing this has been addressed elsewhere on this forum with the many different swaps here.

I run only aftermarket stuff, and my stock tach/speedo lie dormant until I drop some aftermarket gauges back there. I read tach off my boost controller (I know, I know, I just shift when it stops making power)

I tried to PM this to you but realized it had not been opened.With the new format navigation through the site is not as easy and self explanatory as the old format.

Well, good luck. I have been looking for a 1973 240Z Tach for quit a while now. I have had two. They will work with an electronic ignition. It is the only year that is set up that way from the factory, the way I understand it. I have had two in my car since completion of my bare metal restoration April 2009, and they both do the same thing. They work when they want and mine is within 200 RPM of reality. However, when it is not working (about 50% of the time), the needle swings to the pin when starting the car and stays there but also decides to work at times.

I watched eBay for a while and got tired of searching for now. My only other thought is to find someone who knows how to repair 37 year old instruments. Mine appears to be a short but the short is inside of the Tach. Most likely rust from the boat ride over to this country. I am assuming this is for Blakouts car. The car is worth the search but it may take a while to locate one. My builder only builds 240Z, they are his life and passion (Pettersen Motorworks Chico Calif 530-895-3606). He has the knowledge and in most cases the parts but even he only had two 73 tach's. You might give Steve a call, he might give up some information and possible some parts.

Jim