HybridZ

Quarter Panel Vents

I have been trying to find info on the function of the quarter panel vents and if they could be a source of exaust fumes? I did find a post that the small gap on 1 side of the Z emblem should be facing the rear of the car. It does appear that the emblems are different and so they do appear to be made specifcally for each side. Any info on how these vents were designed to function and if it might help to block them if they are a potential source of fumes. Thanks

Not a good idea to block them. They are not a source of fumes.

The fumes most often come in around the rear hatch seals, the tail light seals, the hole in the threshold plate for the latch, and anywhere that the seam sealer has dried out and cracked. Additionally any holes in the bodywork caused by rust or accident damage. Additionally, the seals around the gas vapor lines that run inside the car.

In short - everything in the rear of the car has to be sealed up. In my experience adding a front and rear spoiler helps too {but they are not necessary if everything is sealed up}. The cars didn't leak exhaust gas when new... and they should not do it now if properly resealed.

Fumes from the engine can also find their way into the car - check the gear shift lever rubber boot {seal} and all the firewall plugs/passages.

FWIW,

Carl B.