HybridZ

Non-stock hood vents?

Dan Juday

I think BLKMGK recently alluded to a company that makes a NACA duct for those vent openings (that would look really cool on your car BTW!), but he said the company never emailed him back. Still, maybe you'll have better luck. Dan, If you look at Lone's site, he goes through a fiberglass vent build-up. Granted its not for the hood, but could that be so difficult for the hood? Nah! Maybe you could custom make some for yourself? Same style, but only for the hood.

Davy

Yup, that was me! If yo ucan get these guys to respond and it's a decent piece I want one too, okay I want TWO of them too icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.showcars-bodyparts.com/240z.html

It's called a "custom duct".

" 70- 78

Datsun

240/260/280Z

g3614

280Z Style Ducts

Custom"

Right where they describe the "IMSA kit" you'll see a hood with this NACA duct floating over it with an arrow that says "custom duct" an d"fits 280Z style hoods". See that? Yup, my eagle eye spotted it but I'll be darned if I EVER got a price quote (sob). My E-mail just sort of seemd to talk past them, they never understood what I was trying to get and would send me prices for other parts. I never dropped the cash for the LD call though...

If you hook up with them PLEASE let me know what the part costs. For that matter if anyone feels they could make one or sees a race car NACA duct that could be used there I'd be interested in hearing about it. I too wanted something "different" and done properly I might even be able to feed my air cleaner withthe low pressure from a set of those ducts... icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck!

Hey guess what, They updated that page. It's not there anymore.

I spoke with John Washington about doing some. He was thinking about doing some in stainless steel. I'd like to see something in fiberglass. Maybe we can petition him to get going on them. Threaten him with money!

Umm, yes it is. Hlafway down th epage, side shot of an IMSA equipped car, "air dams" right under it. Picturer of a hood to the right of the IMSA car has a duct with an arrow floating over it. The details I posted above are IN the page and if you search on duct it should come up. I pulled the information earlier today from that page, it's not changed in over a year. Short of snipping a portion of the graphic and posting it I'm not sure how much clearer I can be.

That's the ONLY place I've seen replacement ducts that aren't in the stock style and I've looked quite a bit for them.

whew, I'm not nutz - thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Not much of a picture is it? squint a little, it's a NACA duct I swear! Either that or someone sneezed on my monitor (lol). Where can you buy NACA ducts these days? I've looked through a race catalog o two and not really seen anything suitable. Just not sure something like this will fall into place unless it's made for this application but I'm not above looking! I wondered about maybe making that an air intake for the motor too but the cowl on my car is probably a better choice.

anyway, do please let me know if anyone has better success with these guys than I did.... icon_rolleyes.gif

Ok, I'm nuts. But it probably doesn't matter. I called them today. I was immediately put on hold for FIVE minutes. Hung up and called back prepared to tell that guy "No I won't hold". No luck, I got a machine that asked me to leave a message and number and they would call RIGHT BACK. Well that was at 12:27pm today. Take a guess, yup still waiting.

This is strange. (about 2 months ago) I called them on a Saturday and left a message and they promptly called me back on Monday, during the day, and left me a message. I called them back on Tuesday and he didn't have the right info I wanted on the headlight bucket conversion kit so he said he would call me right back. 15-25 minutes later he called back with some of my answers and spoke with me somemore. I got the idea that they really don't know what they have on their website, just know the parts from the part #'s. Call and leave a message asking about something real expensive and then lead into what you really want. Worked for me.

icon_rolleyes.gif