HybridZ

Side Pipes-Pro & Con

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Frank, I'd like to check out the Roush pipes, but the URL you posted said the page was no longer available on the server. could you double check and post to me at zparts@jps.net? Thanks.

Pete & Tom and all

I had a detail reply typed up to reply to all the good suggestions in the past 24 hours, but my Mac (god bless'um) crashed just before I posted and all was lost.

I am working on some better illustrations and measurements to share to help others see what I have planned and an how it comes close to what others have suggested or asked about. I'll try to post them ASAP/.

Pete, I followed most of your comments about inserting the square tube reinforcement, but a sketch certainly would help, if you have the time to post it here or send it direct.

Thanks much.

Lastly, I want to introduce 2 new members to the Hybridz forums that have signed up for membership due to me alerting them to this thread about side pipes, Tom Bell in the US and Mal Land of Australia. Both of these fine gentlemen will make excellent technical contributions to these forums. Both have contributed excellent tech articles, illustrations and high calibre photography to ZPARTS's website original content. They are articulate and well versed in what they know about Z cars. If you see a post by either of them, I am sure you will find their comments and advise well worth reviewing.

Gotta go. Will be back soon with more illustrations and project details.

Eric Neyerlin of Z PARTS

Guest Frank Rich

Okay, so I'm a tad dislek..dyslec...dislet...dyslexic!! Whew! Sorry, Eric - the correct url is:

http://www.wendle.com/roush/roushmustang.htm

Let me tell you, its no fun getting to an age where brain cells are dying off faster than you can kill them recreationally!

I also did a search on the web and about a dozen sites popped up that do Roush-style conversions. Hope that helps - the more I see the sidepipe setup they developed, the more I like it...hmm.

"Lead me not into Temptation, I'm getting there just fine on my own!"

Frank icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Frank Rich

Sorry for the double post - I'm losing it....

[s-O.k. I deleted the second one. Pete]

"Lead me not it Temptation, I'm getting there just fine on my own!"

Frank icon_biggrin.gif

[ July 13, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I'm pretty sure they don't actually run down the side in the Roush Mustang. My friend has a 96 SVT Cobra with 'side pipes'. The pipes are made by Borla. They run down the center to mufflers that are in the standard location (as in cars with exhaust exiting the rear), but the outlet of the muffler is on the same side as the inlet. From the muffler the exhaust pipe exits toward the front of the car and bends out to the end of the side-pipe-skirts.

Dunno if that is the same as the Roush setup though.

It is kind of awkward but it looks really good.

Heh, looks great until the car is lowered and encoutners a speed bump. I've seen about 4 sets of those fiberglass skirts cracked all to hell from speedbumps and such! the funky U turn th eexhaust has to make has got to cost som ehorsepower too. Looks really sweet but there are a few more tradeoffs involved that I think I'd want icon_eek.gif