HybridZ

Ram air system

Guest Neil

Anyone ever tried to incorperate a ram air system onto their Z? I realy like the look of the ram air hood on the new firebirds. I am going to talk to my fabricator neighbor about possibly grafting it onto a Z hood, even if is not a functional ram air system. It might help cool the engine, though. One could maybe also use one of those cool air filters/intake system (anyone have any idea what i'm talking about? You know, those cone-looking filters. Don't know exactly what they're called. Sorry, my ignorance is taking over this post. Must...stop...typing.......) Just a thought. Any input?

Guest Frank Rich

I saw a pretty simple yet apparently very effective ram air system on a V8 Z at the 2000 Convention in Vegas - the owner of this car had cut two symmetrical vent openings in the front of the central bulge that runs almost the full length of the stock Z hood. These openings were the "scoops", and he had pop-riveted a panel of sheet aluminium the same width and length as the central bulge to the underside of the hood, with a circular cut-out to allow the air cleaner housing for his carburetor to extend up into the "ram air tube" formed by the hood bulge on top and the aluminum panel on the bottom. If memory serves me correctly, he had used rubber gasket material to seal all the edges and joints where the panel met the hood, and there was a rubber gasket around the circular opening for the air cleaner. It seemed to work pretty well and was very simple and clean in appearance, and engine clearance didn't seem to be a problem with the hood closed. Maybe someone who was at Vegas in 2000 has a picture of this setup?

"Lead me not into Temptation, I'm getting there just fine on my own!"

Frank icon_biggrin.gif

That's a local 'garaged' car. The front 'snorkels' were quite small, that air filter housing was also ducted with 3" OD or larger mandrel ducts to his firewall/cowl which was sealed off from his cabin (that's typically a fresh air inlet).

It didn't look that difficult but all his work (was it a red car/all custom suspension etc...) was done with stainless/top quality sheet material etc.

I'd like the same but fully duct from leading edge of hood right up that bulge/open up that crossbrace on hood above radiator (reinforce hood elsewhere) to a similar setup.

Guest Frank Rich

Yeah, Ross - I think it was a red car, and there were a number of other custom features if I remember correctly, although I really have no clear memory of the mandrel ducting to the firewall cowl area. As I said, its been since the convention in Vegas, And I've probably killed quite a few brain cells in the meantime icon_wink.gif.

I remember quite clearly, though, standing in front of that car and thinking "DOH! How simple, yet effective! Why didn't I think of that?" I've had more of those moments over the last two or three years than I care to admit when it comes to Z-cars (and a lot of other things, as well!) - there is more imagination and talent focused on these cars by groups just like this one than most people would believe, and I am constantly impressed by and grateful to be on the reciving end of the whole process. icon_cool.gif

"Lead me not into temptation, I'm getting there just fine on my own!"

Frank icon_biggrin.gif