Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Please take a look at this car.

www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8343/YELLOW_paint.HTM

Does anyone have this bumper?

Is your car lowered?

Does it scrape on driveways?

Overall do you like it?

Were do you mount it, does it use the bumper shocks?

I have lowered a couple of cars in my time and am getting kinda tired of custom bumpers scrapeing on driveways and speed bumps. I only lower cars approx 1" to 2" max and plan to do the same with my 260Z.

Thanks for any help!

[This message has been edited by Sundance (edited December 14, 2000).]

That is a MSA bumper. I have a set on my 280 and they look a lot better than the stock bumpers. I had a body shop install them and I don't think they were attached to the bumper shocks. The only thing you have to be careful with is in parking lots with the little curbs in front. smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Just a thought about front air dams...my 280 Z has an old Jim Cook Racing air dam made of polyethelene...it's flexible & scrapes on speed bumps & driveways (car is lowered 2")so

I have to be alert!!...be wary of the hard plastic ones...they can crack & split...Oh yeah, the paint on mine looks pretty bad!!

Guest Anonymous

Hey Arif, Is your car lowered? Only need to worry about the parking blocks? have you scraped on deep gutters, driveways? (Thats when I usualy scrape in my other cars)

Thanks for the info!

Sundance,

After I installed a set of MSA springs (originally made for a 240)it lowered the car 2" however it doesn't scrub when I leave the driveway. Let's just say I am cautious when I even think I'm about to scrape the air dam. The pictures on my webpage were taken before I lowered the car...huge difference

------------------

http://communities.msn.com/TurboZ

Guest dankinzle

Hey, has anyone converted the huge, clunky, ugly 280 bumpers to the smaller 240 or glass ones? I always wondered what went into doing that.

------------------

'75 V8 280z which is too slow.

Guest Anonymous

I HAVE A 76 280z AND I HAVE THE SMALL 240 REAR BUMPER BUT IT TAKES ALITTLE FAB WORK TO GET IT RIGHT. I ALSO HAVE THE MSA FRONT LIKE WHAT THIS POST WAS ORIGINALLY STARTED WITH. I DIDN'T USE EITHER FRONT OR BACK BUMPER SHOCKS.

THE REAR IS BASICALLY FIBERGLASSED ON AND THE FRONT BOLTS TO THE HEADLIGHT BUCKET BASE. I INSTALLED SOME EXTRA SUPPORT BRACES FOR HIGH SPEED DRIVING. THE FIT OF THE FRONT SPOILER IS NOT AN EXACT FIT BUT WITH SOME FIBERGLASS IT TURNS OUT REALLY WELL. IT IS BEST TO TAKE IT ALL TO A BODY SHOP UNLESS YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE IN INSTALLING AND PREPPING WITH FIBERGLASS.

• 9 months later...
Guest Anonymous

I also have these bumpers(front and rear) from MSA. These were on the car when I recieved it.The stock bumper shocks were removed.I have been contimplating some kind of rear "Bumper" to go behind the fiberglass shell...but I have wanted to redo the rear..I like the smooth look better.After reading the post from today pertaining to the "Smooth Look" , I see that I've a few more options to mull over.I just purschased a set of early corvette lights and plan on incorperating them into the rear..as well as reinforcing the body inconspiciolusly.The front end was damaged via a speed bump as I only have about an inch of clearence.I was able to put it back together flawlessly (from the outside).I then reinforced the bottom by adding 2 braces (old bed-frame) ,mounted from the cross member to the bottom of the fender.This not only adds rigity to the bumper,but make COOL sparks at night. icon_biggrin.gif

When I repaired the front, I also removed the turn signals, filled the holes and I filled in the seams between the headlight bucketts and the fenders.Seeing that I don't drive "HER" that often I figured I take the time and get a nice crisp edge above the bumper and the fender, as opposed to using the "flexible seam filler".I don't like the look of the filler(caulk) because of its irregularities, and figured my baby deserves better !!! icon_wink.gif......However, seeing that I don't drive her often, I make up for it,by "driving her hard" ...and after my maiden voyage with said bodywork; upon inspection at home ,I realized that all my meticlous work was in vane, as it had all cracked along the bumper/fender seams. icon_mad.gif ....I guess when I repaint it , I'll just have to use the "seam filler" after all.

MYZMYWAY: once you get that bodywork done can you please get some pictures up for us, and if you do the rear bumper "smooth" idea, can ya tell us how you did it, i'll be doing this mid december,

and on the subject of a front bumper, i personally don't like the MSA front bumper like the ones shown, just not my thing, but i like it on others, what i am going to do with my front bumper is to remove the center bumper part and only leave the sides on, leaving it with some protection, and letting the front grill be shown in all its glory...

simliar to Mark Rowes (zedskids) http://members.ozemail.com.au/~zedskid/cosmetics%20wheels%20tyres.htm

front%20qtr.jpg

Guest Anonymous

I like the look of those 'Bumperetes', might have to look into that myself.

thats a very neat car and conversion he's done there. That motor looks right at home in the Z bay.

mark rowe sent me an email a while back on how to do the "bumperettes" he lives in melbourne and will be for sure going to th NDOSC club sprint day on october 27th..., he usually will be there...

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone seen one with just like knerf bars on the front? Just like two contoured 1" rods with a bracket to the bumper mount? Just curious how it would look if done right. I'm thinking the Cobra had something like that.

Regards,

Lone