HybridZ

Having a problem with Precision weatherstripping..

RPMS

Okay, add me to the list of folks who are having trouble installing the Precision weatherstripping kit. None of the pieces are marked, and I'm having to guess which pieces go where. The door seals were easy, but they were too long and I had to trim about an inch and a half off them to get them to fit. Same with the quarter window trim. And the piece that I *think* goes at the rear of the hood (right behind the hood latch) looks to be about a foot too long.

Has anyone else had to trim these suckers to get them to fit right, or did I just get the wrong kit? I'm going to call them tomorrow and get a complete listing of which part numbers go where on the car. I'll post what I find...

Guest Anonymous

Scott,

I purchased a Precision kit about 4 years ago and said right then that I would never do it again. If I had only had to trim pieces I would have been ecstatic! Seriously, if the fit of the rubber (do your doors shut easily yet snugly with the new rubber?) and the quality is good then it is a great deal. The old kit I had didn't have the channel trim glued to the door rubber and many of the pieces were poor quality with lots of pitting and misaligned seams. I have been told that the new ones are better.

Incidentally, I paid more than the kit JUST for the Nissan door seals (which I also had to trim a bit). Give us a bit more of your experience with the kit.

Guest Anonymous

Get em from the DEALER Ohh did I say a BAD word ! Got my door seals a month ago 68.00 each . List 85.00 I'll even make it easy if you have a 240z 76801-e4100 , 76802-e4100 door seal #s

Guest Anonymous

No, DEALER is not a bad word. They still stock parts for our 20+ year old cars and I am thankful icon_smile.gif I ended up buying dealer seals for my 77 280Z: doors, inner hatch, windshield. At the time, my door seals were like $120 each but the 280 pieces are different from the 240. Windshield and hatch were a bit over $100 as well.

I agree that the Precision kit may be a bit of a gamble but I will probably try it again. My reasoning is that they have done SOME research since my first purchase due to the fact that they list a kit for 280s. At the time, it was only for 240s and 260s.

Okay, here's the poop.

I was looking at the fit of the Precision door weatherstripping before I installed the door latch mechanism. When the door is pushed shut and released, it sprang back to where it left about an inch gap. In other words, the weatherstripping is making contact about an inch before the door latches. When I pushed the door shut with moderate force, it still left enough space to put my finger in between the door and the jamb. This led me to believe that the seals were too thick.

Well, I installed the door latch last night, and tried shutting the door again. "Normal" closing force doesn't fully latch the door. I would estimate that it takes about double the normal force required to close the door fully, so that it's flush with the body. In simpler terms, you have to slam it. Not quite violently, but forcefully. I'm a little scared that if this doesn't soon start to close a bit easier, I might rip off the inside door handle! I understand that this is a common problem, and should get better as the seals compress.

I was also a little concerned that the springiness of the seals might jam the latch mechanism, but that didn't happen. Even with the pressure on the latch, it still opened smoothly. Thank goodness for that, at least! I'll update this as time goes on, so the list can see how long it takes for these things to "break in".

Overall, in spite of this issue, I feel I got a good value. The improvement over what was on the car (NOTHING) is well worth the two hundred and twenty bucks I spent on the kit, even if I do have to close the doors firmly from now on. If money is no object, go with the Nissan seals. If you're on a budget, the PRP seals will probably do just fine.

[ September 27, 2001: Message edited by: RPMS ]

Okay, tonight I did the passenger-side door weatherstripping, and (curiously enough) it fits just fine, and the door closes with very little effort. I wonder if the driver's side was from the earlier production run, and the passenger side was a later version???

I've noticed that many of the seals appear to be too long, so I've cut them to size. I guess they do that so nothing will accidentally be too short. They seem to work all right, but until I can get the front window glass all put in, I won't be able to tell how well they're really sealing.

Those rear quarter windows sure were a pain in the rear to put back in...