HybridZ

spindle pin success!

Just wanted to post that I finally removed my spindle pins from the strut housing and to let everyone know that if you haven't submerged and soaked your strut housings in PB Blaster then you are wasting your time. I wasn't aware that they sold it in gallon containers, but once I learned about it my spindle pin removal took probably an hour total time after soaking.

So if you are fighting your pins, go get a gallon of pb blaster and 2 paint trays to soak your strut housings for a few days (I soaked mine for 3 or 4).

P.S. If you can have a machine shop do it, then by all means let them do it. The number of shops I had turn me away because they couldn't press them out or it would take a lot of time to setup (therefore a lot of money) was over 10. The final shop I went to was a local transmission shop and one of the workers suggested this.

I soaked both of my pins for 3 days (by soaking I mean spray down completely 4 or 5 times a day) with Kroil, one came out no prob with a spindle pin puller, the other no such luck. I'm gonna pull the whole assy. out this weekend and bring it into work, cut the lower a-arm off and try to press the old pin out with a 10 ton press. I plan on trimming down my old spindle pin from the other side and using it to push. Congrats on finishing up, all this for stupid poly bushings. By far the worst job yet on the Z.

I soaked both of my pins for 3 days (by soaking I mean spray down completely 4 or 5 times a day) with Kroil, one came out no prob with a spindle pin puller, the other no such luck. I'm gonna pull the whole assy. out this weekend and bring it into work, cut the lower a-arm off and try to press the old pin out with a 10 ton press. I plan on trimming down my old spindle pin from the other side and using it to push. Congrats on finishing up, all this for stupid poly bushings. By far the worst job yet on the Z.

I did a similar thing before, I was spraying mine down with PB Blaster from a can any time I thought of it. It just didn't penetrate deep enough though.

• 7 months later...

Hey,

Just thought I'd chime in with my experience on the spindle pins. Tried soaking and taping, soaking and taping. No dice. Passenger side came out with some convincing, tapping, heat, a puller and a lot of swearing!

Left side...more aggravation, effort and 10X the amount of swearing. I think I actually invented a few new curse words. No dice.

Anyway, cut the LCA off, heat, penetrant and 2200 psi on an industrial hydraulic press and the damn thing moved 1/16 with a big bang! Finally broke her back! It actually startled me when the whole thing when BLAM! Then I smiled to myself as I was the only one around, and said, now your done, you little bit@#!

Successive applications of the press in the range of 1000-1500 PSI finally got it to where there was 2 inches of pin left in the barrel...it still took 300 psi to push that little bast@rd out!

Hoorraahhh...pins out!

Regards,

RSC

P.S. Wouldn't normally post with swearing but it feels better after going 10 rounds with a little pin. HA!