HybridZ

Evil undercoating

Guest Tht1KSguy

Guest Tht1KSguy

Well i spent 4hrs yesterday w/ the car up on the lift using the air chisel w/ light pressure to hack away at the undercoating on the entire bottom side of my car. Of course there is some rust in the floor pans that i have to get to and fix and the undercoating is in the way before i can sandblast stuff. The air chisel does the job but it takes forever to chop away. My question for you guys is do you think i should remove all of it completely from the floor pan area sandblast & POR-15 it or just replace my problem areas and sandblast & POR-15 those areas? My only rust is on the drivers side frame rail where it's joined to the floorpans and the footwell areas on both sides along with the battery tray area. Alot of the undercoating is still in good shape (soft and pliable) but the areas where the rust is it just chips away. Thanks as always.

If you're going through all this trouble, you might as well remove ALL the undercoating while you're at it. It would be a shame to do all this work, then have the remaining undercoating trap water and rust through in a couple of years.

Try spraying diesel fuel on the undercoating and waiting 5 minutes before scraping with a putty knife. Then remove anything that's left with turpentine on a rag. It worked well for me.

quote:

Originally posted by RPMS:

If you're going through all this trouble, you might as well remove ALL the undercoating while you're at it. It would be a shame to do all this work, then have the remaining undercoating trap water and rust through in a couple of years.

Try CAREFULLY spraying diesel fuel on the undercoating (using an old windex bottle, or something) and waiting 30 minutes before scraping with a putty knife. Then remove anything that's left with turpentine on a rag. It worked well for me.