HybridZ

Different metals in the z?

-eric

I know theres lead in the roof seams,and somewhere around the bottom of the windshield.

But is there any other hidden things? Even so,what metal was used in them? Alot of the times with the wire wheel ive came across shiney parts,and then parts that look almost black/discolored. Kind of like its a mix of different steels.

Im almost done the resto on it,but the last 2 weeks or so after I have spent time welding Ive been sick. I know the sound deadener is horrible to catch on fire,only found that out once while I was welding the underneath of the floor and it heated up abit inside. And I dont recall burning any paint off either.

Were they coated from the factory at all with anything to the bare steel?

This is the last area I welded,and Ive been sick in bed the last two days with what seems to be metal fume fever.

http://img402.imageshack.us/i/201003241424000.jpg/

And heres the shop Im working in,The doors wide open with a breeze,and also exhaust tubes hooked up. The sun glares them out,but theres one running in the back sucking fumes from inside.

http://img18.imageshack.us/i/201004130952000.jpg/

Alittle puzzled,as I must be over looking something.

The thing that can cause 'welding sickness' or whatever you want to call it is usually from welding galvanized materials. A lot of the metals in the z were given a zinc coating to prevent corrosion, so if you didn't properly prep those areas... that could be the reason. You can usually tell because of that yellowish tint, kind of like what you see on restored engine parts.

I would think that a big open shop with lots of ventilation would keep you from getting sick, especially if you avoided breathing the fumes.

From what I've read, it shouldn't leave you sick for more than a day or so, so if it's ongoing and you haven't been welding a few days, I would probably guess it's not the fumes that got you, it might be something else.

Of course, the disclaimer here is you should probably talk to a doctor before you take my advice on what to do about how you feel, only you and your doctor can determine the real cause.

Mhmm,what I had figured,the zinc coating makes sence. As far as prep,ive just been hitting everything with the grinder/wire wheel as much as I can.

Makes sence with what I have read to,and this is the 2nd day and its going away,Looks like I'll have to watch it alot more,maybe see if I can get a big fan in there. Would figure it had to happen now haha. I have the quarter lips to worry about,and a piece for the of the floor,and Im done the car,along with painting it. Just a minor set back.