HybridZ

Source of OEM-style wheels

Hi,

Have '75 280z that came with aftermarket wheels (aluminum dish style). A neighbor who was former 280z owner just game me the original wheels and hubcaps off his car. The steel wheels are pretty rusted given that they were stored outside but the hubcaps seem to be in great shape. Thus my question....where or how to find new wheels that will fit the old hubcaps? Alumnium? Steel? Or even used but in good condition OEM wheels?

Thanks!!!!

Todd

Hi,

Have '75 280z that came with aftermarket wheels (aluminum dish style). A neighbor who was former 280z owner just game me the original wheels and hubcaps off his car. The steel wheels are pretty rusted given that they were stored outside but the hubcaps seem to be in great shape. Thus my question....where or how to find new wheels that will fit the old hubcaps? Alumnium? Steel? Or even used but in good condition OEM wheels?

Thanks!!!!

Todd

Sometimes the simple solution is the one you never thought of: Get the wheels you have sandblasted and powdercoated. Or have them sandplasted and painted. Either is the cheapest way to go, unless the wheels are out of round, which I doubt.

Hey Montezuma,

Ya, you're right, sometimes the most obvious is the best. I like your suggestion of sandblasting and powder coating. Do you (or ANYBODY ELSE!) have any idea of how to assess whether or not any structural damage is/has been/can be done to a wheel by rust/oxidation. I guess visual inspection after the sandblast would give a lot of information (i.e. if the oxidation penetrated significantly beyond simple surface rust) but I do wonder about people's real world experience.

Thanks!

Todd