HybridZ

What sort of distributor is this? How do i hook it up to a 240Z?

d3c0y

Turns out this is a normal datsun points dizzy with a Crane XR700 optical sensor in it.

Bought this dizzy out of an MQ Patrol (aussie 4x4 L28 carby with points) at the wreckers thinking it would be as easy to hook up to a 240Z as a 280ZX one.

It doesnt look like it has an ignition module on it (oops) but maybe you dont need one being an optical sensor to just fire the coil. It also has 3 wires coming out of it.

If this cant be made to work can it be used as a trigger for an MSD 6-A or similer?

I should add that the optical gear inside has hitachi logos and the ID on the body is for a 280C or MQ Patrol.

If i get an MSD i still need to get the distributor re-curved for better advance right?

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

Cheers

Jake

Edited by d3c0y

You should be able to trigger your MSD6A with the optical Crane pickup. I havent installed this particular setup yet, but similar setups based on the Lumenition OS50 pickup, but don't see a reason why your setup should not work. You can't use an optical trigger setup to directly drive a coil, you need a transistor or CDI ignition inbetween the optical pickup and the coil.

I have found a wiring setup in a MegaSquirt thread which uses the optical pickup as a trigger, so for the MSD 6A it could look like this:

Grey: Connect to white wire of the MSD 6A unit (points input)

White: Connect to Ground

Black: Connect to +12V via a 510 Ohm Resistor

Reference:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/Dizzy_Ignition/DistrCrane_v3.htm