HybridZ

Injectors always open?

csm240z

My engine has been constantly flooding and difficult to start/runs extremely rich. A mechanic friend of mine said that I should only have power on one of the wires of the injectors when the key is in the on position and that the other wire pulses on and off while its running/injecting. Well when I went to test this out I had power on both of the wires on all the injectors with the key in the on position. I have a L28ET with MS1-Extra, Ford EDIS and 440cc Ford Racing injectors. Can anyone help me figure out why this is happening?

With the car ignition turned on you will measure 12 volts on both sides of the injector, this does not mean the injector is open/activated. The side of the injector connected to power/realy will always show 12volts as you stated. The side of the injector connected to megasquirt will be 12volts when the injector is closed/no fuel flow. It will then be pulled to ground on this side by megasquirt to open the injector and flow the fuel. It is hard to measure with a multi meter since the time is real short during the open time of the injector(milliseconds). If you measured 12 volts on one side and low volts on the other then your injector would be open and flowing fuel all the time. This doesn't sound like it is happening to you.

If you have a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and the pressure holds steady after the fuel pump shuts off then your injectors are probably not leaking. This doesn't always work because a lot of systems don't hold pressure in the supply line anyway because of leaky fuel pump check valves.