HybridZ

jcub280's 75 280z

Time for a build post.

This was my car back in 1999 or so after a quick paint job.

280side.jpg

280front.jpg

I drove it until I hit 2 deer going 80mph back in 2002. I know, a stupid thing to do but hey, I was a kid. Too bad I did not take any pics then. After that the car sat inside my garage until last year. I started to do a little work on it here and there. I was going to just do a quick clean up and get it back on the road. But then I found a running 82zxt for $400. I now have all the goodies to make my car a turbo.

CIMG0932.jpg

Due to financial constraints (MBA way of saying poor), I am just doing the swap with no major upgrades right now. I am cleaning up everything and getting ready to get into the engine work soon. But first I have a few cancer spots to fix on my Z. It is pretty clean for being an IL car for all of its life but it still has rust under the battery. I started my stock Z engine for the last time today (I recorded it) then I pulled the engine.

CIMG1202.jpg

CIMG1205.jpg

As of right now this is what I have finished.

1 - Interior is in good shape - seats recovered and repaired - door panels repaired

2 - floor pans replaced

3 - most major body work completed (remember, I hit 2 deer)

4 - cleaned / painted most engine components

Next step(s)

1 - fix the cancer under the battery

2 - clean up engine bay and paint it

3 - engine work - top to bottom

That is enough to do for now. If you care to see some of my cleaned up parts check out my flickr or photobucket page. I am no longer posting any new pics to flickr. At the very bottom is a walk around video of the car last year.

Flickr reworked parts pics

Photobucket (I will be adding more here)

2009 Z video

Edited by jcub280

• 2 years later...

Wow, it has been a long time since I have added any updates to this project.

1. I switched from my '75 to a much cleaner '77.

2. I completely rebuilt the 82 Turbo engine, top to bottom and most components

3. I upgraded to a T3/T4 Hybrid turbo - liquid cooled center section

4. Just painted the engine bay. I was stuck on the idea of going back to code 110 - persimmon - which was the original color of my 75.

5. Upgraded brakes to 240sx in back, I have everything for the Toyota 4-Runner upgrade except the spacer.

6. I have an intercooler but no plumbing yet - patched up an old J-Pipe for now.

7. Non EGR N42 intake

8. Manual boost control

9. Limited Slip rear differential

10. New bushings all around

11. All drive components / suspension removed cleaned / primed then painted flat black

I am sure there is a lot more I left out.

My next steps

1. Get it running - still have to work out the wiring for this beast... (megasquirt to follow shortly)

2. Route intercooler plumping and add BOV

3. Get the rest of the car painted - it will be sand blasted and have any rust (this is Illinois so there is rust) removed and replaced with panels

4. Figure out the interior I guess...

post-5872-067441200 1348358747_thumb.jpg

post-5872-046132500 1348358778_thumb.jpg