HybridZ

fun with bondo!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i forgot my password so i had to re-register oh well, anyways does anyone have good resources to how to use bondo? im putting on my fiberglass fender flares, and its just not working out, any tips? do i just load the bondo on and sand it down until i like what it looks like? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

Bondo Problem:

You didn't explain what exactly what problem

you"re having. Working with bondo is more art than science. First, you must get the mixture

of bondo and hardner correct. if not, it will

harden too fast, too many pin holes, slow to

harden etc. Then you must cut or sand the area

evenly. But most of all, you be able to "feel"

the high and low areas. There are several books

at Border's- look technical books in automotive

section under auto body repair.

Aloha,

Sunny

When installing fiberglass fender flares you "should" use fiberglass matting and resin to install and blend them in and try not to use bondo since it does absorb moisture and cause rust to form between the two areas if the fenders are steel! Just my $0.02 here bonk.gif

Guest Anonymous

even fiberglass mat and resin will not last. You must realize there are different expansion rates for materials. Not only will bondo crack VERY easily in this type of usage, but fiberglass resin will eventually release. You really need to use a high strength adhesive for a permanent bond.There are several available. You also must really know what you ar doing. I suggest you read alot, ask alot of questions and go see some of this work done. Its a pretty big project and you don't want to do it incorrectly. Try posting on autobodystore.com bbs and ask Len for the bonding material he sells and uses for this.

Guest Anonymous

I like to use Tiger Hair for bonding fiberglass to metal, but you must be sure you are bonding to bare metal and not paint as it will seperate. It is also a good idea to hit the metal with some 80 grit sandpaper to give the adhesive more to bond to.