HybridZ

Finally have a working speedo!

So, my 72 240Z had autometer gauges hooked up by the previous owner, Tach, Speedo, Oil pressure, water temp, and fuel level. Looks really good, except my speedo was non-functional. It lit up, but that was it. Investigation revealed a busted speedo cable.

I ordered ATP part number Y860 from Rockauto (Rockauto part number #25050W5810, about $10.50). In case you guys are wondering, it has the correct .104" square male drive to connect into the Autometer mechanical speedometer, as well as the proper input on the datsun transmission end. The only thing you will need to do is find a 5/8" x 18 collar to slip onto the speedo cable, and then screw it into the autometer cable input thread.

The only thing I've noticed now, is that its a little bouncy from 10-30 mph. After that it smooths out. I think the way I ran the cable caused too many bends, and it may be slightly dragging/binding. I will be re-routing it this week.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but in all my searches (and I searched A LOT), the only thing I found was people suggesting to either send the cable off to a speedometer shop for a custom cable, or to convert to electronic speedo's using a 240SX sender.

Edited by T-Bone028