HybridZ

Leakdown test without meters?

Hi

so i did a compression test on my l28et engine b/c alot of smoke coming out on accel low rpms and idle.

all read 145 except for cylinder 5, which was 90.

I was wondering if i can just do a leakdown test with my compression test tube, and the air compressor. I can just go around and hear for leaks. I dont need the meter that gauges amount of leak do i?

I mean i know there's a leak, I just wont know how much is coming out- but depending on the amount of air i hear, i should have an idea.

or is this a no-no and i need to get the meter or let a professional do it.

If you can hear the leak, or where specifically it's coming from. Besides there's always some leak, the point of the gauge is to see how significant/negligible.

I would think smoke alone at a certain rpm range would not be a leak but an a/f ratio problem, but if there is a leak that bad you should also be burning a good amount of oil. That said, 90 is obviously bad, but it could just as well be the valves. Also try running the engine for half hour and doing the test on 5 again, and you could try tapping the valves a few times between tests to see if it changes. If the valve seats or sleeves leak that much it will probably be black under the cover with again increased oil consumption. There's probably a combination of discrepancies.