HybridZ

Use power transistor or not with GT40T

evil_datto

Hi, I want to know whether or not I need to use a transistor with the Bosch GT40T coil, I'm not using direct coil fire.

Apparently they've stopped making the old oil filled GT40 one that I used previously.

Thanks, Scott.

It's just a coil, right? Meaning it doesn't have the amplifier built in, correct? If that is the case, then you need a coil driver/transistor to drive it. If it only have two terminals, the it doesn't have an amplifier built in.

Well then, I might as well ask about the power transistor. I managed to break mine ('81zxt type) so I'm in need of a replacement.

I went to the parts store and the one listed for 280zx is the Ignition Module used for the VR distributor. And the one I saw that

looked exactly the same was from a skyline IIRC. Except it only has two connectors on it, not two in, two out like the zx one.

I also looked at a HEI 4-pin one, but that doesn't let me control dwell does it? What is a good replacement for the stock transistor?