HybridZ

Thermo Fan Mounting Location

Whittie

Hi All,

I've just bought a new aluminium radiator and a couple of 10" thermo fans to fit to the back of it.

The issue I am having trouble deciding on, is where to mount the fans. I want to mount them side by side but should I mount them at the top, middle or bottom of the radiator. The fans are to mounted on the engine bay side of the radiator.

They are fairly heavy so I was thinking down low, but then that would force air into the bottom of the engine bay and make it likely to go under the car, a bad thing. I have bonnet vents installed so I was thinking that if I mounted them up high this would help push the air out the vents and not under the car. Although this would put the weight up quite high.

The other option is to put them in the middle. This is the typical location I see but I wonder if it's just because that's where everyone puts them so people just do it without thinking?

I plan to build a radiator box in front of the radiator to reduce the radiator air inlet, also to help push air over the car instead of stalling it in the engine bay. The box will be biased towards the top of the radiator because that is the only place I can fit it, so maybe having fans down low will help spread the air flow over the radiator considering the vents should pull air through from the top of the radiator?

I will be fully sealing the front of the chassis so all air will have to go through the radiator into the engine bay if this makes any difference in terms of fan placement.

Here is a pic of the radiator and fans in the low location:

P1020089.jpg

Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Whittie

offset; upper left corner next to the inlet and lower right near the outlet.

I was considering that originally but had totally forgot once I actually had the fans in hand... It would be best for cooling.

Thinking some more it would also be pretty good for air flow through the engine bay with some up top, some down low...

I suppose one fan is not too heavy to have up high, but I track the car so if I have to add weight, I would like it to be down low.

**EDIT**

I just mocked the fans up on the radiator with them situated as far right as possible with the left up top and right side one down bottom and I must say it looks pretty neat!

I might go for this one, Cheers octopus

Edited by Whittie