HybridZ

general advice for begining ground -up frame restoration

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i aquired a 280z chassis with no engine and transmission for $50 dollars, i have been interested in a upgrade to a v-8, so i thought that this car would be ideal.(i hope).

questions

1. what would be the best way to clean underboby so i could inspect for weak areas?

2. if i plan to put a crate 350 in the car should i concider strenghtening the frame? i don't plan to drag the care and the chassis was originally set up for a automatic.

3. are the the stock drive train components strong enough to handle the v-8?

thank

john

Guest Russ240z

Welcome to the site John. I just arrived myself. Look at the threads under paint and body for discussion on rotisserie's for the serious approach to underbody inspection and restoration. In most cases subframe connectors are a good idea although not required. The 280 rear end is usually good for 350+ horsepower. I'm sure someone here can provide the gear ratio for auto's and verify that they had the 200r diff as well.

Right now in the driveline section of the forum there is a discussion on the u-joints in the half-shafts. I am also doing a 280Z shell. I don't know if it's the best solution, but with the larger size of the frame rails under the floorboards (vs the 240Z), I am just going to tie into those, into the rear subframe, and tie my rollbar into that. Once the weldings done, I am going to get the structural foam and fill all of empty areas of the frame rails side rails etc... to add additional rigidity. That way I won't have to add a cage! I think this will work and when I asked about it I didn't get any negative.... well or positive coments either... So Ima gonna try it! icon_biggrin.gif

John,

Scraping the undercarriage to remove the undercoating is a messy, time consuming job. Guys have done it with heat, etc. use the search function to get all the info--it has been hashed out numerous times. Make sure you check for extensive rust underneath and in the typical areas for a Z (rockers, battery box, etc). "How to Restore Your datsun Z Car" by Wick Humble is a good (read: perfect) reference tool for your project.

The stock unibody should be strong enough for a crate 350. Consider the JTR kit or making one along those lines. If you want a manual transmission, the conversion is quite easy and you'll merely have to replace some parts on the console to have the interior be at M/T spec. Good luck with your project.

Davy

I had the entire undercarriage and paint (interior and exterior) stripped with walnut shells. I had all previously stripped all components, mechanical, fenders, doors, harch, glass, interior, dash board, etc.,so there was only the unibody shell left. The stripping was more expensive than I originally thought but it certainly made continued body repair easier. Also with everthing stripped I discovered several areas that need repair that were previously masked.

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the info, i'm kinda scared and excited about my project. i feel better this forum is here for support. i'm am not ricjh enough yet to make expensive mistakes. i will prbably get started this fall when i get home from korea. 2thumbs.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Russ240z:

The answer to this is probably obvious but where do I find access to the book, "How to Restore Your Datsun Z Car," on the internet?

Russ, it is still a fairly common book. Classic Motorbooks (Motorbooks International), Amazon.com, BN.com, etc. all would carry the title.

Davy