HybridZ

Gas filler modofication

Guest 2adz

Guest Willieboy240z

I now have the Miata door in my grubby little hands. It is just a door. Has some interior mounting equipment to allow it to be a bolt in replacement on the Mazda.

On the Z, it appears it will fit in place of the original fuel door -- with about a half inch gap top and bottom. Welding in some sheet metal will be a snap -- at least in comparison to what you'd have to do with the motorcycle cap option.

One Complication: The Miata uses an inside release mechanism to lock/open the door. We're gonna have to figure out how to either make something like that work or defeat it so that the door will stay closed and you can open it.

As soon as the weather clears, I hope to do some Miata research at the salvage yard to determine how to fabricate a locking mechanism.

Guest Willieboy240z

I definitely believe this gas door is a lot easier to install than a Honda motorcycle fuel door and cap. Definitely. Not nearly as much cutting and welding.

The ideas for cable and electrical opening have merit. I will be happy to have a cable even if I have to open the hatch to unlatch it. Since the Miata gas cover does not stay closed on its own, you will definitely need something for it to latch on to.