HybridZ

Replacing door handles.

Guest zfan

I am replacing outside door handles on my 1971 Z.

Are there any tricks to replacing them? I replaced door panels and did not check on handle fitment. Do I need to pull glass? to get to inner mounts.

zfa..Mike

Well I pulled the inner panel off and took the two 8mm nuts off but the rod thats attached to the handle that controls the release will not come free.

It is attached to the car door exterior handle, it sits in a plactic sleave and will not slip out or come free. I actually used too much force and bent the damn thing. Anyone else have this problem? Any cures?

zfan..Mike :mad:

Guest Anonymous

Somewhere on that connection on your door handle is some kind of tiny fastening attachment either keefer,clip or cotter pin that needs to be removed to free the door handle from the rod, sleeve or whatever.That square piece of plastic that is threaded on the rod to your door handle is an adjustment to opening the door and if out of adjustment the rod will not exert enough pressure to open the door when you pull up on the door handle . The fastening parts are tiny and can be lost easily. Get eyeball to eye ball with the door mechanism and you will see the solution

Zfan,

I've done this several times using needle-nosed pliers to squeeze the end of the rod through the hole in the door handle. Hard to explain, but position the pliers so that one jaw pushes the end of the rod/plastic bushing and the other jaw of the pliers is pushing on the part of the door handle that the rod goes through. A little silicone lube spray helps too. Don't worry if you've bent the rod, bend it back to the approx. shape and it should work.

Guest Anonymous

I went out and re-checked a door. You may have a plastic fastener connection on that door handle . Pull the door handle and the attached rod out of the door from the outside which may take some acrobat moves on the hardware. Rotate the rod up and push or snap loose the part or potion of the plastic connection fastener attached to the rod which should relieve tension pressure on the plastic round upper portion holding the metal rod to the door handle/