HybridZ

LT1 Exhaust options

Alright hopefully this isn't a topic that has already been extensively covered, but if it is mybad, I am working on putting a 1995 LT1 and T56 into a 1977 280z in CALIFORNIA. I have done lots of research on the smog laws and it sounds like all parts must be CARB approved. Basically, what options for exhaust does this leave. The JTR book suggests that the newer exhaust manifolds for SBC engines should work, but I am not sure if those are compatible with the LT1, because when I have searched for LT1 manifolds they look quite different. Would the LT1 manifolds work? if not are their any headers that work that are smog legal? So far I havn't been able to find any 50 state legal block huggers, and my understanding is even if I welded in a bung hole for an O2 sensor the headers still wouldnt be legal bc they are not originally CARB approved. Anyway, thats my dilemma, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Alright hopefully this isn't a topic that has already been extensively covered, but if it is mybad, I am working on putting a 1995 LT1 and T56 into a 1977 280z in CALIFORNIA. I have done lots of research on the smog laws and it sounds like all parts must be CARB approved. Basically, what options for exhaust does this leave. The JTR book suggests that the newer exhaust manifolds for SBC engines should work, but I am not sure if those are compatible with the LT1, because when I have searched for LT1 manifolds they look quite different. Would the LT1 manifolds work? if not are their any headers that work that are smog legal? So far I havn't been able to find any 50 state legal block huggers, and my understanding is even if I welded in a bung hole for an O2 sensor the headers still wouldnt be legal bc they are not originally CARB approved. Anyway, thats my dilemma, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The factory LT1 exhaust headers will not fit. They make contact with the steering shaft. I am doing the exact same project. I've installed a '95 LT1 and T56 into a '77 280Z. I bought the JTR block-huggers made by Sanderson. I don't know anything about California vehicle emission laws, however.

There are two major types of heads that are on the LT1. If you have iron heads, you have strait sparkplugs. If you have aluminum heads, you have angled sparkplugs.

That being said, ANY CHEVY SMALL BLOCK headers with tolerances for the right kind of sparkplugs will bolt onto your motor. As far as getting that to clear the rest of the car...

I have iron heads, so I used

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SMALL-BLOCK-CHEVY-BLACK-TRUCK-STREET-HOT-HUGGER-HEADERS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27ad365a51QQitemZ170409744977QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories