HybridZ

Special Paint for Engine Compartment?????

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

hi,

just wondering if i can just use regular paint bc/cc for my engine compartment or do i need to use a special paint because of the heat issue. thanks

lloyd

Guest Anonymous

i was just talking with the local autobody supplier today (cause i'm about to paint my engine and compartment for the first time) and they said no problem with standard paint. they even say the trend for the show cars now is using standard paint on the engine too(except for the exhaust manifold) - afterward they recommend running the engine for 10minutes to heat the paint and then letting it cool and cure

Guest Anonymous

Lloyd,

I'm a painter by trade although I work mainly an aircraft, you can use the same paint as the out side of your car but keep in mind some paint types are more resistant to oils and solvents used for degreasing than others, a 2 pac flexable polyurethane for example would be more resistant than an acrylic paint, ask at your local paintshop, they'll know.

Mick

Z 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

hey thanks for the info tbone280zx, zedman, and Racerx.

Racerx,

about the engine, i think i will be putting a toyota supra staight six turbo or even twin turbo if i have the money rather than the lexus v8. i think the toyota staight six will fit better and if i have money for the twin turbo supra engine it would put out a lot more horsepowr than the lexus v8. but thanks for the detailed info on the egine compartment paint.

lloyd

Guest Willieboy240z

Racerx --

Great commentary on engine compartment painting. If I chose to paint my compartment BLACK, what are any shortcuts I could take? I'm not much of a painter and very impatient when it comes to prep work.

YEAH BABY! Twin turbo Supra motor!!!! hail.gif

Heh, on the plus side - the Z engine compartment is pretty straight forward as engine bays go. Some cars have real PITA engine bays. The Z bay has lot's of flat areas and mild curves - not too many crevices IMO. When it came time to do my engine bay I went with flat black Krylon. Cheap, easy to fix up if I scratch it, and it actually looks decent IMO. Whatever you use to paint it the Z bay is easier than many others so I'm sure it'll come out nice smile.gif

P.S. There's a type of paint out there that's supposed to look pretty nice. It has little "paint baloons" in it and it has a sort of spotted look to it when done. Anyone recall what this stuff is called? I could swear we talked about it once before...

Guest Anonymous

I was considering using that rust resistant POR 15 (?) on my Z engine bay in some kind of slick finish for easy clean-up.I was thinking silver or gray. Any one have experience with this for engine bays???????????

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by tbone280zx:

i was just talking with the local autobody supplier today (cause i'm about to paint my engine and compartment for the first time) and they said no problem with standard paint. they even say the trend for the show cars now is using standard paint on the engine too(except for the exhaust manifold) - afterward they recommend running the engine for 10minutes to heat the paint and then letting it cool and cure

I have used standard automotive urethane (PPG) on engine compartments as well as engines themselves, with excellent results. I ground the block and heads smooth, painted with epoxy primer, then urethane and its looked great. The nice thing was that the engine could be cleaned with a rag...you didn't even need degreaser. I'll be doing this on my 240 project, as well as polishing every bit of aluminum on the motor. bonk.gif