HybridZ

AFM Boot Upgrade?

My car was having some power loss off and on... I checked my AFM boot and sure enough a few cracks. So I taped it up and founded a used one to buy. Well the used one has the 77-78 plug hole (my car is a 75).

What do people recommend to use to plug the hole? I didn't have something in the garage that fit the hole well.

That got me thinking... could I just get an elbow pipe and two rubber couplers to connect the AFM and TB instead of that boot? This would be cheaper than the $50 I am seeing for an AFM boot, and no worries about it cracking again. I have installed a lot of CAIs with those couplers and they are easy to work with and seal up well. So then I searched on eBay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

Has anyone done this? I searched and found nothing.

Edited by cruceno21

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't find anything here... but I found this on Zcar and I am going to try something similar. Couplers are 6 or 7 bucks each, and then some cut down CAI tubing from autozone should do the trick I think.

http://www.zcar.com/forums/866662/high-flowperformance-intake-boot

I recently did the throttle body mod. But this meant the space for the boot was too small for the original. So I got some exhaust pipe in the correct diameter, cut it at an angle and welded it back together to get the elbow. I even welded a couple of those smaller pipes on the side for the throttle bypasses. It works well.