HybridZ

V3 MSII - '87 300ZX - No spark through dizzy

VG30ET

Good afternoon,

I recently built a diy V3 from diyautotune. I am using the stock ignition, stock coil, no power transistor (from stock ignition) to fire up my 87 Z turbo. I installed the BIP 373.

Question: I am seeing spark from the coil, but not at the # 1 cylinder.

My settings:

Max dwell: 2.8

Max spark: 1.9

Ignition options: Falling edge, calculated, going high/inverted, standard coil charge.

I will attach the msq.

Are these setpoints in the ballpark for a Z?

Also, this distributor has a condenser - it was working when the factorty efi was disconnected some 3 months ago.

Everything looks ok on the stim. On the car, I thought perhaps my input signal was bad, so I disconnected just to test and didn't see any rpm or the injector led fire, which is telling me the dizzy electronics are working.

Any help is appreciated.

Spark at the coil but not at the #1 cylinder may mean cap and rotor damage, or it could be either your timing is off or the rotor is out of phase. What's your trigger angle at?

Hey Matt,

Still looking for an answer to this one. My trigger offset is 15 deg. In my 100KPA/600 rpm bin I also have 15 there. I tried a trigger of 0 and 15 in the bin but nothing. If the timing was off, wouldn't I still see some spark though? Perhaps not.

I have felt some minor sputters here and there but no bang. Trigger offset is supposed to be initial timing no?

Again, just following the nissan manual base timing is 15+/- 2.

I noticed some msq files for 280's were running a trigger angle of 38 or so (might have been after calibration). Anyhow, I tried 36 and no major differences. I tried replacing the cap/rotor w/ a known good used one, still nothing.

I am close to changing the jumpers to JS10 to IGN and using the output on pin 36 to drive the power transistor that comes from the factory ignition and drive the coil that way...don't know if the 280's or 240's came with these. If I go this route would I have to change the spark output to "Going low" or keep "going high". The transistor functions as a signal amplifier...

I have not touched the dizzy at all (never took it out) when I shut the car off a few weeks ago to do the conversion, and everything was ok then (factory efi of course).