HybridZ

Bought a Hybrid, now what?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just bought a '73 with a chevy 305 in it. I was just wondering whats' the first thing i shoud do to this mutha when i get it home?

Hehe this might sound dumb, but how do u change the oil on a V8? (i aint mechanically enlightened YET, so sue me icon_cool.gif )

Also, I plan to swap out this engine for an LT1 fuel injected setup in the future, would the LT1 bolt up to the motor mounts i already have for the 305? And what would i expect to pay for a complete crate LT1?

Thanks guys

Jon

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Tempuraman:

I just bought a '73 with a chevy 305 in it. I was just wondering whats' the first thing i shoud do to this mutha when i get it home?

Hehe this might sound dumb, but how do u change the oil on a V8? (i aint mechanically enlightened YET, so sue me
icon_cool.gif
)

Also, I plan to swap out this engine for an LT1 fuel injected setup in the future, would the LT1 bolt up to the motor mounts i already have for the 305? And what would i expect to pay for a complete crate LT1?

Thanks guys

Jon

First thing to do is evaluate what it needs. Hows the front end components look, old and crusty? Figure on a rebuild, same with the back suspension components, bushings etc. How are the brakes? Definitely something to upgrade when you have a V8 in the car.

The oil change is easy, put a drain pan under the oil pan underneath. Look for a bolt on the bottom of the pan, remove it to drain the oil. The oil filter on a SBC is on the drivers side toward the back of the block. Unscrew the filter canister and replace with a new canister. Replace the drain plug and look for a oil fill cap on one of the valve covers. Fill with oil. Usually 5 quarts with a filter if its got a stock pan, but check it to make sure.

The LT1 will fit your current mounts. There are of course wiring issues to deal with, the fuel lines will need to be bigger with a high pressure pump in the rear, or you'll need to use a surge tank up front with two fuel pumps. 1 low pressure to supply the surge tank, and 1 high pressure to supply the fuel injection system. (you didn't say if the 305 is carbed or fuel injected)

New crate complete? Whew, it'd be expensive, specially to get it with the computer and everything needed. Better bet would be to get one at a wrecking yard and freshen it up (slight bore, new rings and bearings). Make sure its complete with computer and all, usually they can be had for 1500-3000 complete depending on the miles and where your located in the country. It ain't a cheap swap, but its a nice new modern motor than gets good mileage, performs well and looks bitchen in a Z engine compartment.

Good luck with it,

Lone