HybridZ

How would I fix this?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone, I have a few questions about my Z that was hit from behind a while ago, as some of you may remember. I was working on it today, trying to get it looking nice, and for the real part where the taillights bolt on kinda straigntened out and everything, got everything working good and all, and now I have a few questions as to how I would go about fixing these problems at home, if possible.

crackedpaintleftqpanel.txt

This is the left quarter panel, I imgine the paint is cracked because the quarter panel was smashed in? How would I fix this?

crackedpaintrightqpanel.txt

Same as above, only the right side.

pushedinqpanel.txt

This is the left quarter panel smashed into the door. You can see where the paint is all chipped from having the door shut against the q-panel...Any way to fix this?

smashedleftq-panel.txt

This is also the left quarter panel, about the middle of the back where it slopes down. Any way to fix this too?

This is off topic, but it's a funny (funny odd, and mildly amusing) story that happened today while trying to fix it and get it running again. While I was sleeping, my dad woke me up and asked for my keys because he thinks he fixed it, so I get up, it runs and everything, we get the taillights hooked up, and buy $5 of Ammoco's finest, and we take it for a test drive...Runs decent, take it around the block, and about a mile from home it starts to sputter and it isn't getting gas...Pull over, check the car out, it isnt getting gas, so we think it's out. Ready to buy a gas can and some gas, I decide to try the fuel pump one more time (it's hooked up to a little lighted blue rocker switch) and what do you know, it's getting gas, so I save gas and gas can money. Go home, and my dad wants to check some stuff out, so he decides to check out the back around the gas tank for leaks. We then remember that there is a fuel filter back there...Take it off and you would not BELIEVE all the rusty chunks and thick rust caused sludgy gas that came out of it...I mean, it's nice to know it was doing its job and all, but WOW!!! I can't believe that was the cause of the cars problems...It runs really really good now, and I currently have a much nicer clear filter hooked up. I can't believe nobody ever thought of checking that filter lol

Guest Anonymous

I can give you some real backwoods and shade tree advice : A few good jerks on the back of that Zee might get the door jambs from hitting which is your worst problem . It looks like the impact traveled to the soldered seam line on the roof and shoved about every thing slightly forward and up. What you need to find is the largest area in the tail section that you can mount something soild like plate steel or angle iron and then connect these mounting points to co a chain or comealong to and jerk or pull the sheet metal to the rear of the car. The trick is to temporarily reinforce the entire rear section so a pulling force will not damage the body panels while pressure is applied to pull the metal backwards. I reinforced the damaged front end of Datsun pick-up and from that reinforcement combined three chains together from seperate body mounting points. Hooked the end of the combined chain to a stout tree and without the radiator started the engine and slowly went in reverse. Got out and checked a few times until I was satisfied with the results. Just do this proceedure slow and careful. It worked for me and do not mix any alcohol with the project.. I said, "back woods"!Afterwards ,drink the beer under the shade tree!

A friend of mine had wrecked his toyota pick up on a quard rail and wanted to fix it himself.But the frame was damamged and had similar problems. Here in Dallas i had him bring it to Dallas Frame and Alignment and they straightened out the frame for him. Maybe you can have a similar shop pull it or have a body shop pull it. Just a thought. cheers.gif