HybridZ

Targa/TTop combo to replace the "Top Hat"?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

So I've got a dreaded aftermarket sunroof in my '71 240, and it's got to go. I've pondered about the convertible solution (don't like the look on the older Z's, ZX's look ok with it), as well as attempting to find a newer electric sunroof/moonroof I could place in that has a better profile than the "Top Hat" currently installed in the car. I don't want to completely remove my option for having open air above my head, so a complete roof transplant isn't acceptable, either.

What I'm thinking about is creating a Targa roof from a junked Z and splitting it into two tops. It wouldn't be an official T-Top setup since there will be no support in the middle of the roof. And it won't be an official Targa Top because it won't be a single piece. I just know I can't fit the size of a single Targa into the back hatch of the Z. I will already be installing new frame rails, doglegs, inner rocker supports, and a rollcage, so structural integrity shouldn't be an issue. For securing the tops, I'm thinking about using the same type of system that the TTops on the ZX's use, similar to a piston/sleeve attach with a lock on it to prevent it from slipping and my tops flying off at 70MPH.

Does anyone know if this has been done yet? I don't want to reinvent the wheel here... If nobody has seen this type of setup, what do you think? Am I out of my mind here, or will this actually work??????

Thanks,

240Z

Yes, this has been done before, kinda. I have seen it. Rory Bateman, the designer/builder of the Tomahawk is now in the process of making a four piece top for a Tomahawk that is based on a 280Z. He has made a custom rear section (1). A modified center t-top section from a 280ZX (2). and the t-tops from the same 280ZX (3)&(4). He is a professional car designer and it has taken him many weeks. But this shows it can be done. I'll post a pic if I can.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Dan! That at least tells me that it can be done!! You wouldn't by any chance know how to contact Rory, would you? I can see he's using the ZX TTops, but it'd be great if I could get a closeup shot or some details on how he's doing it... BTW, looked at your car, love your setup! 2thumbs.gif What exact color blue is that?

240Z

Good luck contacting Rory. He has no interest in computers or the internet. He likes to be elusive and doesn't like people calling him. I think Eric at ZParts has more pics he has not put up yet. You might want to hit the JY's and just cut the top off a 280ZX and start fitting. From Rory's work it looks like the fit is pretty close.

Thanks for the compliments. Viper Blue.

A custom one piece targa style top is pretty hard to do. But a two piece - I am highly doubtfull. It's gonna leak.

One thing I like to ponder is getting an entire roof section from a genII crx or Probe - one that has a power sliding roof that slides outside the car. RX7 GenII and III had them too. Anyway, graft the thing onto the roof and wire it up. It'd require some precision bodywork/welding skills, but the mechanics and leak proofing would already be done for you.

Just another option to consider. You could try the same type of thing with a 924/944 or a GenI RX7 lift out style roof.