HybridZ

interior paint

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

...i've been using plasti-coat interior paint to do my hard plastic pieces .....adheres well...looks good....but it scratches pretty easily...and is kinda porous (cant be cleaned)..does anyone know of any clear paint that can be applied over this stuff...to seal it..and make it more durable?.......thanks...s

Guest TAlchemist

i have yet to find anypaint that will coat a plastic object and prevent scratching since the plastic itself can scratch...

also paint doesnt really adhere to plastic...especially plastic that is touched by your hands often.

Guest Want aZ

My son wanted the interior pieces of his honda painted, speaker grills, guage insert, A/C Vents, etc...It can be done, I first washed everything with a good dishsoap to remove any traces of oil (Armor-all), then wipe everything down with acetone, be very carefull here, wash down again, then begin to wetsand all pieces, shoot with a good quality primer, let dry 24 hours, then spray color, the key here is to use several light coats until completly covered, then spray with clear, did it 6 or 7 months ago, and no chips or anything yet...Good luck

Guest Anonymous

...thats pretty much what i did...'cept i used "bulldog" surface prep and no clear coat...what brand of clear paint did he use....

....what i had wanted to use was this aerosol paint i saw at this place that made diving boards..slides...swimming pool stuff...but no one knew where to get it..and all they had was "blue"...of course....s

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by The Alchemist:

i have yet to find anypaint that will coat a plastic object and prevent scratching since the plastic itself can scratch...

also paint doesnt really adhere to plastic...especially plastic that is touched by your hands often.

perhaps....

....i've seen finishes out there that would prbly work (looks like the original vinyl was painted w/something)....but all that stuff had to be mixed up , and applied "just right"...and dried in a 150 degree room etc (done in a way that a regular person wouldnt have the resources to do it)...but i havent seen anything you could get in an aerosol can that looked very impressive (except for this stuff they use to paint diving boards)....s

Guest Want aZ

We just got the stuff from wal-mart and didnt have any problems, Honestly I think we used krylon for the color and primer and I used a auto body clear from a rattle can to shoot the clear, 2-3 coats of clear, 4-5 of color

Guest tom sixbey

YES. here's what a friend of mine did (and it worked in a black-painted interior of a sunbaked black mustang cobra convertible!

1. Paint your interior pieces with the SEM stuff - it's pretty tough, but ABSOLUTELY clean off all of the parts with vinyl or plastic prep (respectively) before you paint. When you paint, dont apply too dry or wet (duh - use moderation and get good even coats)

2. DONT TOUCH after you paint. when you are sure that your pieces are completely dry, dust off with a lint-free rag and shoot the pieces with clear, workable fixative. - this is esentially a clear plastic coating that artists spray over their work to protect it from getting smudged. This is available at all art supply stores. After about a year of abuse, this stuff has held up great in my friend's mustang. The rule to follow is - ONLY use this on hard plastic parts. - dont try to paint flexible vynil, because it wont hold up if it gets flexed - even the "flex" paint will crack and peel off.... GOOD LUCK

Guest TAlchemist

well i did research on painting keyboards and mice and i know that if any plastic peice needs to be handled directly it needs to dry for at least a month to prevent coming off and looking nasty

I absolutely swear by the SEM "Landau black" for black plastic interior pieces for the Z. That paint/dye makes them look better than NEW and gives them a complete uniform finish, without being glossy or too flat. I just plain love the stuff...why I've even painted my fingernails.. :D

Davy

BTW, you get SEM at an automotive paint supply shop, and maybe at other places too, but I get mine locally from The Color Factory.

Davy

Guest tom sixbey

ok i hate doing this since i've sworn against painting vynil, but does anyone know if SEM has a black vynil paint? - i'm switching to a black interior and i'll probably paint my headliner since it never gets touched - at least as a temporary measure until i can get a new one...