HybridZ

Ignition Timing @ Low RPM

This is more of a general question, not specific to the L series engines, its actually relivent to a Toyota 1JZ. Im looking for light load ignition vales at 1500 RPM, Ive seen maps that are as low as 16 deg's and soem as advanced as 38, Id really like to know that is truly a good choice to maximize the combustion energy. at 38 deg im sure there flame front is being compressed, maybe not pinging but I can imagine you'd be losing power and effiency, 16 may be too retarted.

1jz specs are 8.5:1 compression, 2.5L, 91 octaine.

I guess im hoping someone here has some experience with timing, I spend a lot of time in the 1500 rpm range, and would really like to know how to maximize my gas mileage. IM currently running 29 deg at 1500 rpm and light load, I figure trial and error while averaging injection times is gonna be the only way to tell forsure, some people say best mileage is right before ping, im not too sure bout that.

Thanks a lot is anyone can help!

This is kinda the wrong place to post a question like this. Try posting this in the Toyota L6 forum, your likely to get more responses. Timing is going to be very dependent on the engine in question. Trying to generalize probly isn't going to be very useful, but if I had to guess if you tune for maximum torque in that range you're probly going to get the best mileage, if only because your combustion will be more efficient.