HybridZ

Learning composite construction

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking to do some custom stuff with fiberglass (particularily body panels for the Z among other cars), and eventually Carbon Fiber. In the case of the latter, I really want to get the benefit of weight reduction over aesthetics (most people I see go the other way around with Carbon Fiber and Carbon Kevlar).

I'm considering a FRP boatbuilding class offered at a community college on the coast. It's a half-semester long course, but from what I know of offshore racing, I would THINK that this (along w/aircraft construction) would be one of the best ways to learn how to layup composites, as well as how to orient fibers for strength, etc.

Am I on track or offbase here?

Guest greimann

The real weight reduction with carbon fiber comes from pre-preg cloth cured in an autoclave under vacuum and pressure. You can layup a very strong panel with relatively few plies. It is the technique that race car builders and aircraft builders use. A garage hobby it is not. But the techniques of ply orientation still apply.

I agree with the g-mann, but,the boat guys have been doing cheep constuction for a long time. Its a good idea. They will have a better idea on how to make things without pre pregs and the like. Go for it.

Douglas