HybridZ

Rolling Front Fenders for Oversized Tires

Guest Willieboy240z

Guest Willieboy240z

Car's in the bodyshop right now being extensively modified. Have stock 14 inch rims right now, and I want to upgrade to 17x7 Enkeis.

As I live in the Outback, I have no other Zs to check to see how to Roll the fenders. Any advice, instructions, photos, etc, would be welcomed!

Need this fast -- body guy is hard at work and nearly ready to prime and paint.

Thanks!

Guest jdllaugh

There is an article that discusses using a piece of pipe to roll down the inner lip of Z fenders at www.zhome.com. Scroll down to the Index of Technical Articles. In the Index, there is a "Z car Body" topic. It has a lot of different tips for dealing with Z-body problems. The discussion of fender rolling is at the very end.

Guest kc6wfs

Hi Will.

well I did it today.

I cut them out instead of rolling.

Not sure if it's the best method, but I want to be able to run 15?265's soon.

I grabed my 3" handheld grinder and cut 2 slits, and used my sawall and cut fairly clost to the lip for 2/3's of the wheel well. Then I went back with the grinder and smoothed, and evened it out. The lip is all gone not on the upper area where the lip was.

I was going to roll it but decided to cut and smooth it at the last minute because if I rilled it it would have been a big PITA to remove it with it bent up.

Thanks.

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Dave, you did leave a bit of a lip to keep that panel straight didn't you? Also, it seems on my car since the front left fender was hit and then halfassed bent back out that the front fenders are flimsier or so it seems than the back quarter panels, my point if you roll them be careful because you can end up putting a contour in the fender you didn't plan. :D

Also if the tires are that wide aren't you going to catch the frame rails in full lock in one direction or the other? I was under the impression without flaring that you'd get only 245's under the front?

Just some things I wondered about. Good luck.

Regards,

Lone

Guest kc6wfs

Hi Lone,

I only did the rears, I run 3.5" up front.

I did leave a few mm of the lip as so it still keeps stock look and not weard.

I think I'll be fine with the tires 15VR45/265's once I do the coilovers.

I am not going to put the tires on till I get the coilovers.

I smoothed the line out I cut, so I hope if it does rub it will not cut a tire, but with what

I plan on doing it won't. I hope!!!!!!!

I'll mount a 265 first and see how it lines up and worst comes to worst I'll go with a 255.

The rears on mine are for drag racing only..

Dave

cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, My bad Dave, I didn't read that right, you mentioned the 3.5's being up front, I thought you were going for 265's up front :rolleyes: I guess occassionally I should read before I interject. :D

Regards,

Lone