HybridZ

Hood can't latch, off too much, why?

Tony240ZT

I picked up this hood that was laying around in someones garage for a very long time and thought it would be nice for my `73. It doesn't have the vents like for a 280Z, so I'm assuming its for a 240z or 260z. I have the bolts loosened up and push the hood as far foward as it will go and when I try to close it the hood is hanging over the cowl like a whole nother 1/4 inch.

Could this hood be for a different year? It wasn't made by Nissan, so maybe they were off. I'm thinking of just hacking up the mount a little bit, but if it was made for a different year maybe I can sell it to someone else with that year and buy myself a different hood.

mvc-466f.jpg

If anyone is interested in it let me know, its practicly new. I've had it mounted on my car for a month or so now, and before that it was all boxed up. Perfectly strait.

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

All the hoods should be interchangeable and 75 and 76 280's came with no louvers. When I changed the engine in my silver 280 Z , I took off the hood but when I placed it back on I got the hood overlap to the cowl like you have. My hood was in perfect alignment before removal. I fiddled with it for awhile and finally got it to fit without the over lap. The strange thing is that I could see exactly where and what position the bolts had been before but after reinstalling the bolts were not in the original position to obtain proper fit for the re-installation. Those after market hoods are a pain to fit but you may have to reposition the hinges. I even had to readjust the hood latch. Had I not known the hood came off the car I would have assumed something was wrong!

Guest Zpeed

agreed with tomahawkZ....

once u take it off u can't get it in the same spot, u must re-align again...

and its even worse if ur hood is a little jarred like mine, 2 hits on the left and right..

I wish it was only as simple as loosening up some bolts. I've done that already. I'm going to have to take off the hood and long gate the holes more on the hood. I think there is enough meat there to play with. I think the hood sits to the passenger side more than the other. I'm kinda pissed, I traided a chromed Z valve cover for it. I think I should have saved the valve cover and bought a fiber glass hood.