HybridZ

headlight covers

RacerX

Guest zfan

Racer X, I have the lightly tinted version and no I have never been bothered by the local authorities but I did have to take them off to pass state inspection. No problem, I mounted mine with screws I did not use cheap tape set up. I only had to take three screws off and presto.

I bought mine from Motorsport for 40 maybe 50 bucks its been three years so I kinda of forget the exact price. They do look cool, get lots of comments.

Mike

Guest greimann

RacerX,

I have driven in CA with headlight covers for 17 years and have been cited once for it - in the DAYTIME. It is a fix it ticket anyway - BFD. I think the cop was having a bad day anyway and needed to exercise his right to hassle somebody, because I wasn't speeding or doing anything else wrong. Oh yea, he also got me for no front license plate too, but still, once in 17 years! nono.gif

Guest Fast Frog

I've running with tinted headlite covers for over 10 yrs. Only problem is that the tinted covers reduce the lighting by at least 1/3. I use bumper mounted driving lites to make up the diff. I got my covers from MSA for $40 plus shipping.

Guest Anonymous

Datsun had headlight covers as an Option on the Z (and the Gnose came with covers). It seems the rare optional covers on the Z had wide chrome trim rings.

I have a set of brand new factory option Nissan headlight covers with the chrome rings but I'm saving them. Meanwhile, I use the MSA/Victoria British type clear covers and I instead of the rubber trim ring that comes with them I use a thin chrome/plastic U-channel trim with self-adhesive that I push onto the edge of the plexiglass covers. It looks great! I'd say look up the OEM specs on a 240Z re headlight projection distances, etc., put on clear covers and a set of H4s and request a test by the State Highway Patrol if your're cited, so that you can demonstrate that your car exceeds the required specs. DAW

Guest Zpeed

i got the tinted headligher covers, very good quality,

reduce light by 1/3, but some Xenon globes will fix that hopefully... its fine for city driving where there are lights anyway, and looks killer under the city lights also... will get some better quality pics like that soon...

Guest Anonymous

Good idea on the chrome trim strip on the edge, I'll have to do that when I order mine. I used a similar deal on the edge of my trucks door in 1989 and its still hangin on the edge of the door. Good stuff. Theres a place in Mesa (Space age paints I think it is) that has alot of weatherstrip and trim strip so it'l be easy to get.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

yeah, i'd agree with Racer X here.. the Xenons let off a helluva lot of heat.. i was actually worried about the wiring at one stage but a quick talk to an auto sparky said otherwise when he checked out my setup for me..

probably also want a bigger alternator if you're gonna go the xenons.. as my new car runs them fine but the old one get a bit under half amp when idling without a bit of throttle.. course, that's when my stereo's crankin.. (4 amps, 15" sub, etc, etc)

hehe - but still.. i'd be worried about putting the xenons behind plastic.

on the subject of headlight covers.. can you get ones like the early racing zeds had? the full cover ones?

I reckon some of the early racing zeds look absolutely gorgeous and yeah, would one day like to build a replica zed..

008Front.jpg

sexy!

Guest JAMIE T

My 240 has the lightly tinted ones, bronze tint. I had crazy dim headlights when I got the car, and everyone was saying I'd have to lose the covers. Noway man, these covers look good. I got some superwhite halogen bulbs for 20 buck each, and run my high beams all the time. I have good night time visibility now, but before I had to drive very slow on back roads at night. I've not gotten a ticket in the year that I have had the car. I've had my column covers off whil I was driving and the switch gets warm, but not HOT. ALL of the wiring on my car is questionable, so I'll just roll with it until something happens to it. twak.gif