HybridZ

240Z Side Marker Turn Signal Issue

Nomake Wan

Hey there everyone, I've got a 1971 240Z with an odd issue. Electrics work okay in stock form, but when I tried to install the side marker adapters from MSA (the ones that plug into the turn signals) things stopped working right. I did install new gaskets but the old gaskets were actually properly installed so as expected it didn't solve the problem. With the adapters installed, the right turn signal works perfectly fine. Hitting the right turn signal with the lights off causes both the turn signal and side marker to light, whereas with the lights on the turn signal and side marker alternate. I'm assuming that's normal operation.

However, the left turn signal shorts out. The weird bit is that even in this configuration, the side marker will come on with the other lights (i.e. when the turn signal is not active), and with the MSA adapter unplugged on that side the left turn signal works fine. So the side marker circuit appears to be okay and the turn signal circuit appears to be okay. It's just when I plug the black lead from the MSA adapter into the black lead from the side marker that the turn signal shorts out when activated.

Any ideas?

EDIT: A little more information. I went out and tried swapping which wire the adapater plugged into, but that just resulted in the side marker not lighting at all so it's definitely plugged into the correct wire. Turning the headlights on brings up all lights just fine. Hitting the right turn signal makes the side marker go out when the right turn signal lights, and when the right turn signal goes out the side marker turns back on. If you hit the left turn signal without your lights on, nothing lights (but the rear very dimly tries to). If you hit the left turn signal with the lights on, the left side marker dims slightly while the front and rear turn signals hardly change at all.

EDIT 2: Disassembled my side markers again and found the brass screw-holder-thing on the left side of the left sidemarker was not aligned correctly, allowing the screw to contact the body. Realigned everything works fine. What a stupid issue. Thanks everyone, hopefully at least this thread is a good reference for anyone having this problem on Google... :lol:

Edited by Nomake Wan

Did MSA send you directions with the SCP or Sidemarker conversion plugs? I ask becasue I'M the one who makes and sells them to MSA. They don't buy a lot as compared to the Headlight and parking light upgrade harnesses but I've always wondered what they tell there customers....

The main idea behind the SCP is to make the front of your Z Safer by making the sidemarkers blink in tandum or oposite of the Under fender blinkers, so other drivers can see your turn signal. Ground ISOLATION is the key to everything working properly. I deal with this a lot when people write me and tell me that they don't work. I tell them to use a meter and isolate them completely from any grounds, they do so and write back to tell me that they work great.

So what does MSA send in the form of directions? Or do they link you to a site with the info?

Glad you're happy with it so far.

Dave