HybridZ

Ring gapping and l28 Rebuilding

280zipper

Hello everyone here at Hybridz. this is my first post so im new to the site and n42 l28's so dont be shy to let me know what im doing wrong.

i recently purchased a 76 280z on my 18th birthday and it misses on the 3rd and 4th cyclinder so i purchased new rings and a full gasket set to do a partial (low budget) rebuild. i know everyone frowns upon replacing internals with anything that isnt "OEM nissan" or whatever so thats not the kind of feedback im looking for. my real question is: Can i get close to the same reliability or performance with an engine rebuild or refresher without paying tons for cash i dont have to machine shops for block hot tanking, rod cleaning, heading cleaning and balancing ect. ect. and what can i do myself? normally i would shell out the cash to do it properly but i already have a 72 SR510 moneypit and i only need that l28 to last till the end of this coming school year or until i find a reasonable priced l28et. thanks a million everyone, and ill be posting pictures of my 510 and z once i get used to the site.

I picked up a felpro complete gasket set, and a set of perfect circle rings, honed the cylinders and put everything back together after I took all my measurements.

If everythings within spec I see no reason to not rebuild it yourself. I had a whole $300 into mine.