HybridZ

Convertible And GullWing Doors

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I Am sooo glad to find this site. I got my first Z approximately one year ago, And fell in love. I now own a 280zx 10th anniversary as well as my first Z ( 1983) I do custom paint and body work and Im looking to fully customize my car. I was wondering if anyone had any information on if the convertible concept has been completed or not? And If anyone knows where I can order a gullwing door hinge kit for my car. My project is already underway, and Im desperate to finish it! Help!! We've been looking for info for months with dead ends Any information is greatly appreciated!! I have plenty of fabrication experience and can make just about anything work and look good. I just need to be pointed in the right direction. I look forward to hearing from you all soon!( The email address is my girlfriends Im not weird!)

Guest Anonymous

Yeah its been kicked around about putting gullwing doors on a early z, but the general consensus on those that have had them apart is there isn't enough structure in the roof area to support it, it can be added but as from the factory nope. On a Zx, it'd be similar, but at least you have a bit more heft to work with. The convertable as mentioned John Washington has one, its the easier of the options for sure, and a ZX in a convertable looks very sweet IMHO.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Hello All

Thanks for the replies! This is carl's girlfriend so Im kind of winging this.. I love cars but I dont know a thing about them! tongue.gif He wanted the doors to open from the SIDE of the car.. Meaning he wants them to open from the door hinge thing ( by the side panels??) Like a lamborghini's doors do.. He wants them to open sideways, not upward... Sorry if I sound confusing!! tongue.gif

Guest Anonymous

I thought better of what I said, He wants them to open upward sideways.. I know Im confusing.. the Countach (spelled wrong?) opens like these do. So basically he isnt connecting them to the roof, hes connecting them to the side panel things.. ;)

Guest Anonymous

John Washington at Reaction Research has a convertible kit for the ZX in the way of a Daytona Spider, I have never seen anything else in the way of a convertible for your car. As for the Gullwing doors, you're on your own no one has mentioned anything successful on this site that I know of. You can get in touch with John at www.kitcarz.com

Guest Anonymous

My girlfriend and I have searched long and hard for the lamborghini door hinges, And they surprisingly enough DONT sell them seperately. I guess we're out of luck unless we want to make our own huh? Im just hoping someone else has done this before me, and has some helpful insight.

Check out European Car magazine's May 2002 (volume 33, No. 5) issue. There is a BMW M3 with gullwing doors. Check it out and maybe it will give you some ideas as to what to do. If I remember right, the hinge was attatched to the A-pillar , with struts to hold the door up. Pretty neat setup.

!M!

Guest Anonymous

Contact Triangle G toll-free at (818) 769-1624. These guys do a Fiero-based Lambo replica and have swing-up door hinges listed for $80 .

You can check them out by going to Kitcar.com and following the link to the Knott's berry Farm show, then scroll down till you see Triangle G and click on the picture for more info. Let us all know what you find out.

Twydog,

71 240z in pieces on the garage floor

Guest Anonymous

Thank you all very much for the information. It was very informative and I really appreciate all the help ( Needless to say this is carl's girlfriend writing.. I dont think guys talk like this.. Anyway:P) He says "Thanks" With a slight grunt.. I guess thats a guys thing tongue.gif He should have pictures of the finished project up in a couple of months smile.gif Any paint and body questions, feel free to email them to him, He'd be glad to help smile.gif

2thumbs.gif

The cool thing about Countach doors is they swing from one corner, so you only need one hinge per door, it's a pain to get two hinges to line up in a short curved door. (both pins have to be in the same line - look at older cars and trucks with exposed hinges)

I recall reading in a Kit Car magazine that some Lambo Countach replica homebuilders used large industrial/commercial door hinges. It looks like an overgrown house door hinge, but the pin rides on bearings or bushings. You might get lucky and find them at Lowe's.

Guest Anonymous

Don't know if this means anything to anyone, Dont want information getting wrong :(smile.gif ( Carls girlfriend typing again tongue.gif )

Carl,

You were misinformed by someone at hybridz.org. I do sell a convertible kit at my ZPARTS.COM website, but only for the S30 Z cars and not the S130 models such as yours. See it at http://www.zparts.com/home.html

Eric

There is kit car called the Evoluzione, that has Lambo-like scissor-hinge doors. You might investigate how its doors hinge works, it is based on the front-engine rear-drive Camaro/Firebird platform. More like a Z unibody than the Fiero-based Countach kits.

Guest Anonymous

Trevor

I appreciate the info,but do you have any more leads? Such as a web site or a specific magazine? Again thanks for the help. :confused: