HybridZ

convertible conversion???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Anyone have any info on chopping the top off?

I was thinking of an open sportster or a convertable. Let me Know.

thanks

Guest Martin Richelsoph

I'm building an early 260Z roadster. I am a little hesitant to post about the conversion since the last time I posted about it someone "smarter" than me said it couldn't be done the way i did it. Actually, it's coming together quite well.

First make sure you know what you are getting into. This is more complex than just taking a chain saw to your roof. You will need to reinforce the chassis BEFORE you cut the top off. (Don't use a chain saw!) You will need to weld a reinforcemant bar (2" square tube) between the rear strut towers and add reinforcement from the front of the rear strut towers to the door sills.

I decided to use the existing hatch. So I sectioned the body from the rear side window back to the end of the rear quarter. I then lowered the entire hatch frame down onto welded reinforcement. I bolted up the hatch and it works perfectly - only now as a trunk lid. I will be replacing the glass with steel and am using the roof steel to bridge the sectioned area.

For more details contact me directly by e-mail. By the way, I live in Phoenix, so I am not concerned with a top. I'm planning this one as a fair weather driver, but with about 350 days of sunshine every year there's no need to worry about rain.