HybridZ

Wondering about how to buy a S30

dpuma8

I looked at a 280Z today but I am not completely sure about if some details are major or not too much of a problem. The car I looked at had a L28ET and it was pretty quick. The problems I am wondering about is there was a gas smell in the car but there were no leaks, the ride was a little rough since the springs were cut, brake pedal had to be pushed to the floor, the gas pedal was extremely touchy, and the transmission was grinding in the 3rd and 4th gear.

So my dilemma is that I did really like the car but I don't want to get into something that initially costs $5,000 but in the end when these items are fixed or adjusted, it costs $10,000 when I could have bought more of a car for $10,000.

So what are some good guidelines for buying an old car like a Z? Any links or other advice? Do these problems sound significant or not so bad?

Rust, Look for rust everywhere that is usually a major concern. You don't want to have your car on jackstands for months having to repair rust and etc. Also the gas smell is a typical thing for the old Zs a lot of the seals go bad overtime and you do get some fumes. Also a transmission isn't to hard to find, maybe you can find a Z guy to go with you or talk to in your area about it.

You might consider watching sales of Z's to get an idea of current value. Check Ebay for a week and you will have a pretty good idea of current avg prices by model and condition. $5k should buy a nice Z, and $10 a great one. Awesome = $$$.

Just about anything on a Z is fixable, but some are too far gone because of rust and make better parts cars than restoration projects.

If you let people know what your plans are for the car (reliable DD, high performance street, track, etc.) they will probably jump in.

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the common rust areas and I didn't see any rust. He said it was taken care of and it did look pretty good. I didn't see a spec anywhere. Sales are a little tough to monitor because there aren't any swapped ones like this so it is a little difficult for me to tell.

So $5,000 for a nice Z? Would a rust free, straight body, strong L28ET with a bad transmission and cut springs considered a $5,000 car? If not, how much would make it worth it to you?

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the common rust areas and I didn't see any rust. He said it was taken care of and it did look pretty good. I didn't see a spec anywhere. Sales are a little tough to monitor because there aren't any swapped ones like this so it is a little difficult for me to tell.

So $5,000 for a nice Z? Would a rust free, straight body, strong L28ET with a bad transmission and cut springs considered a $5,000 car? If not, how much would make it worth it to you?

If the tranny's no good, it will cost you anywhere from $50-200 to source a new one, and then you'll have to install it yourself or pay someone else to do it. For $5k, I'd want the car to be in turn-key condition with decent shine in the paint to boot. I'd offer him no more than $3500, and walk if he doesn't settle near $4200.

Here are the pictures for it

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/ss316/vangpheej/

He said that he has a spare transmission that works but I don't really have the equipment to swap out a transmission

I recognize that Z, it was up for sale here on hybridz just not to long ago. If I remember right it had decent body work done so that shouldn't be a problem, Also I would do some research about putting in a transmission you may be able to do it with some help from a friend.